cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIC Lanes for dual 690 gtx setup

3lgringo
Level 7
I noticed the Maximus V formula only has 16 PCI lanes available so my question is will that be enough for 2x Nvidia 690 GTX (quad SLI) or should I just get the premium/or wait for Z77 Extreme?
Thanks in advance!
Do or do not, there is no try.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
The Z77 chipset has the PCIe controller located on the CPU. So it is pretty much up to the CPU my friend. I am not sure what the Extreme board will be doing to allow quad SLI which it does offer. So I am not able to offer much more input just yet.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Im aware that ivy bridge provides 16 pci lanes yet some boards offer a plx chip wich provide 16 more pci slots.
Basically what I need to know is how much performance loss, if any there is in running a 690 on 8 pci lanes.

HiVizMan
Level 40
There will be performance loss of course that goes without saying. Would you even notice with the naked eye, I doubt it. What will you be powering with the two 690 card? And what applications will you be using, those are what will determine any performance drop.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I got myself a 1200w Corsair PSU.
The main function of this rig will be some light photoshop and heavy gaming on a triple monitor setup 🙂
I know that previous gen GPU's never got cloose to capping the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth hence my doubts.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah in that case you will have no problems my friend. You can use the Formula and not notice any performance difference.

Er ... Can I come game at your house?

Sure if you bring some beer!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated now lets hope they release it soon!