cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning gamer build

MTDave
Level 7
Hello Everyone. Names Dave - Long time reader, first time poster after all this time "stalking" the forum.

So as a small bit of backround, I haven't done any PC gaming since late 2007, With the exception of when Starcraft 2 came out. My old PC was built on a $600 students budget in September 07 - To illustrate the build level, I was happy with a 256mb GFX card and 2 gigs ram....

Now I'm at a point where I can throw a bit more $$ at it and be happy about it. SO! As i've been out of the PC world for awhile, I basically need to start my knowledge from scratch. I have basic skills, and thats about it (Can identify + assemble basic parts, but have never done SLI, nor CPU --> MOBO install) So take me to school! I've done research on my own, and know what is compatible with what, but I'm far too out of date to know whats "good" and "bad" at this point. I'd just like something thats good for a year, MAYBE two, but can be very upgradeable in the future.

24, Live in Washington State, USA
Technical skills = I build commercial Aircraft every day, if I don't know how to do it, i'll quickly figure it out.
Uses = Gaming, Photoshop, maybe Video Encoding later - Plan to at least MILD to Mid level OCing when i learn the skills
Budget = $1500-2000 US
Motherboard = n00b/OC/Watercooling friendly, 16+ gig capable
CPU = An i7
GPU = Single High-end GPU or dual mid-level SLI?
PSU = Whatever it needs to be, quiet would be nice
Memory = I'd like 16, or more - but can gladly start at/accept 8 or 16.
HDD/SSD = Would like a SSD, or two, and a storage drive
Watercooling = I'd love to try watercooling, but does that exist with n00b friendly/relative no maintenance?
Case = Big is fine, Plenty of room for fans and whatnot.

Additional = I'd like to have LED lighting in there, If its accomplishable with only fans that'd be awesome, whatever needs to be done really. A Fan controller would be nice + whatever controller i'd need for the watercooling.

And thank you in advance, even if you only read the post itself.

I'm really a blank canvas here, throw any ideas my way - I'd be happy to hear them! ANY help is appreciated!

For reference, if its any help - i was looking at the G75VW-BBK5 best buy laptop for awhile.
10 REPLIES 10

pipe216
Level 7
Hey there!

First of all, welcome!

If I may ask, what's the time frame for this build, because I would recommend waiting for the Maximus V Formula mobo, it shouldn't be too long before it's released. If you're willing to wait, here's my suggestion:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula
CPU: Core i7 3770K (easy to OC, since it's unlocked)
GPU: Nvidia GTX680 or Radeon HD7970
PSU: an 80+ Certified 850W PSU. I use the Corsair AX850 and it's pretty quiet.
Memory: To be sure, check the Qualified Vendor's List for your motherboard, you can't go wrong with that.
SSD: OCZ vertex 3 240GB
HDD: Seagata or WD 1TB 7200rpm
Cooling: Corsair H80 or H100 (no maintenance)
Case: It's completely up to you.

This build would probably be in the top end of your budget, but it'll hold up for quite a while. For lighting purposes, there are plenty of LED fans out there, although I would suggest buying from the same manufacturer as your case.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!
Intel Core i7-875K @ 4.5GHz
Maximus III Formula
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
4 x 2GB Corsair Dominator
ASUS GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
Corsair F60 SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Black
Corsair AX Series 850W
Cooler Master HAF 922

Zka17
Level 16
MTDave, welcome to the ROG forum!

If I would be you, I would go with the:
Mobo: Asus Maximus v Gene
CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k
CPU cooler: Corsair H100
Memory: GSkill F3-12800CL7Q-16GBXH(XMP)
VGA: Asus GTX680-DC2T-2GD5
PSU: Corsair AX850
SSD: Corsair Force GT 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black series 1-2TB
Case: Corsair 650D

This is around $2000... but does not contain monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers...

pipe216 - Thank you for the welcome!
If I may ask, what's the time frame for this build, because I would recommend waiting for the Maximus V Formula mobo, it shouldn't be too long before it's released. If you're willing to wait

To answer your question, The time frame is within the next 3 months. I plan on buying things as I go when the bank account allows it. I'd prefer to stay around the 1500 mark, but if it needs to be higher so be it. Though I am starting from scratch, so the 2000 limit would then put me at 2500ish for keyboard, mouse, monitor, extras, so on. But i've looked up the specs/reviews of those products, and WOW that would be a screamer. Thanks for the input!

Zka17 - Thanks for the welcome as well!
This is around $2000... but does not contain monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers...

The build looks great! But, as you've said, those other items will put me higher. I could Bypass buying a monitor, and hook up to my TV, but i'll still need more extras putting me higher. I'm just wondering if the 680 is Overkill? Don't ge tme wrong, Not complaining about it, just not used to that level of performance. Would it be worth any consideration to get (2) lower end GPU's and run SLI? or is the 680 just that beastly?

Oh, With the H80/100 coolers, Will I need anything else or are those pretty much self contained kits? Mostly using my cellphone to look things up, and its finnicky to say the least.

Thank you both for your input, it really is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Almost forgot! Since I plan on running everything at 1080 res anyway, Would it be of any practicality to forgo the Monitor and use my TV through HDMI? I have a 40" Samsung LED 3D TV, something on the order of 13,000,000:1 CR.

Zka17
Level 16
Yeah, the GTX 680 may be overkill right now... perhaps you should go with a lower one... like a GTX 560 Ti and get a better one later... Two lower ones in SLI would bring you closer to the 680s price...

With the H80/H100 cooler you won't need anything else - they're ready to go as out of the box 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can have some issues with HDMI and TV for monitors, there are a number of threads with folks having issues. Not a give that you will mind, just a heads up that you could.

My honest assessment is that your CPU is overkill in both those instances. The 2500K is by far the best bang for buck CPU for a gamer. Overclocks to the same level as the 2600K or 2700K, and higher than a 3570K or 3770K will on the H100. You do not need HT as most games will not even fully utilize 4 cores.

In gaming you want your CPU to provide sufficient bandwidth and processing power to drive your graphic card. End of story. If you are going to spend, spend more on your graphic card. A reference graphic card will do the same job as any of the more expensive models. Same card under the marketing sticker my friend.

SSD for OS and games is a must.

DDR3 16GB is huge, not sure if it is worth it; however DDR3 ram is not pricey at present so why not.

The rest is all good.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Zka17
Level 16
Yeap, HiVizMan is right... I missed the 2500k... sorry...:( it's like a $100 cheaper than the 2700k and perhaps you won't observe the difference

pipe216
Level 7
I've tried running on a TV, and it did pose a bit of a problem at first. But you could always give it a shot, if it becomes too much of a hassle, you can get a monitor then.
Maximus III Formula
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
ASUS GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
Corsair AX Series 850W
Cooler Master HAF 922

HiVizMan - thanks for the info, that's great to know!

HiVizMan/pipe216 - fair enough, I am hereby warned. If it works, awesome! If not, oh well. Ill take a look at the manual for my TV later when at work. My phone is my only internet device ATM, but any research is a joke on this thing.

Zka17 - You're probably right. I doubt I'd notice any difference at all, because I'm used to 1ghz in my cellphone CD

Thanks again guys for ball the help and advice!

I applied to newegg.com for a preferred account (read Plastic Card) for laughs and actually got approved... ALOT more than I thought. So while I could go all out, and do it today, I'm half tempted to now go for the G75VW-DS72 just for the sheer portability, and honestly decently comparable specs. I'm doing due diligence to do my research and look at everything from all angles rather than rush things. So again, I really do appreciate all the input I've received! Y'all rock!

pipe216
Level 7
Good luck! And enjoy your new laptop, that thing's a beast! 😄
Maximus III Formula
Corsair H80 CPU Cooler
ASUS GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
Corsair AX Series 850W
Cooler Master HAF 922