cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New (refurb) G74 only works when plugged in

emers098
Level 7
This issue has only been occurring the past week or so. The battery power is fully charged right now and if I unplug my power connector, the computer will immediately shut down. If the computer is off (and the battery fully charged or at any level), it will not turn on unless the power connector is plugged in. I am hoping that there is just some settings that got messed up and its not the hardware. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
7 REPLIES 7

Thx1138
Level 7
That's a battery problem. Do you have the option to take the computer back?
G72GX__ GeForce GTX 260M__ 6GB RAM__ Intel Core 2 Dou CPU p8700 @2.52GHz

jd2266
Level 7
you can download a program called speccy.it is free,when you run it it will show the wear level of the battery,if the battery is fully charged and speccy shows a very high wear level i would assume you need a new battery
asus crosshair v ,fx8150 cpu, 16 gb g skill 1600,sapphire radeon 6870 ,mushkin 120 gb enhanced chronos sata III ssd.seagate barracuda 1tb sata 6gb storage drive,asus black blu ray burner,asus 24x dvd burner,cooler master half x blue edition with added 200mm top fan,rosewill 800 watt modular lightining series ps,cooler master hyper 212 evo .artic 5 thermal compound,vantec spectrum fan card with dual 70mm fans,nzxt 2mm led sleeved light kit,win 7 ultimate 64 bit,logitech z623 200 watt speakers

brecker
Level 8
your battery is probably dead...

I'll try speccy. I apparently have a 90 day warranty with ASUS so I'm setting up to return the battery for testing.

I just unplugged the power and it ran normally down watching a movie for about an hour before I shut it off. Everything seems normal. This was after I took the battery out and put it back in. Either that I'd something or it's only happening some of the time. Maybe the battery was just loose?

dstrakele
Level 14
Does the battery fit snugly in its bay? If it wiggles around, you could try to shim it in tighter with plastic film or Mylar.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Maybe the contacts between the battery and the laptop are not aligned. Does the battery indicator light blink when the laptop is running on AC power? That tells you that you are running the laptop without a battery. If It blinks on battery it tells you that the power level is very low >10%.