cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird crashes.

Rawwr
Level 7
Okay, so recently (past 3 weeks) my laptop - g53sx - has started acting weird. Sometimes the screen just gets a random color (so far I've seen orange, white, green, light blue) and nothing works, no ctrl-alt-del or any of those, the only thing I can do is hold the power button until it shuts down. The computer also plays some tone that increases or decreases in frequency every 5 seconds or so.
The crashes have occured when I'm watching YouTube videos, playing games, doing homework and at different times so I can't figure out what is causing them.
I can't remember if I updated something about 3 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure I haven't installed or downloaded a program since like 1.5 months or something.
Also, WhoCrashed can't find any recent crashes. (or am I wrong to call them crashes? freezes?)

//John 😄
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
1) What version video driver are you currently running?

2) Do these video issues change behavior (disappear, change color) if you open and close (not fully) the laptop lid or pick up the laptop by one corner?

3) If you attach an HDTV or external monitor, does it also display the video issue?

4) Are these video issues related to GPU temperature? Install HWINFO64 or SpeedFan and configure to LOG CPU and GPU temperatures.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Rawwr
Level 7
1) 301.42, latest according to GeForce website.
2,3,4) let's hope I get another of those lovely issues tonight, will try and check those things!

Thanks for the reply.

edit: SpeedFan shows 46 º C idle, which is good as far as I know, but HWINFO64 has these "Core Clock" and "Ratio" that go from max to min all the time, just wondering if this is normal?

dstrakele
Level 14
301.42 is quite recent. Did your video issues start shortly after installing it? Some ASUS laptop users have reported problems with this version of the NVIDIA driver. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16284-Problem-concerning-Nvidia-Verde-Driver-v301.42-WHQL&c... for more info...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT