cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX (91310Z) Low FPS near smoke

scuk1nho
Level 9
Hello guys. I have annoying issue when playing games. My FPS drastically drops near smoke in every game. For example in Bad Company 2. I can run game with 1920*1080 and everything "High" and AA off with 30-50 FPS. But if I'm near smoke, it drops to only 15-20 FPS. This issue is in every game I'm playing: ArmA2, BF3, COD4, Crysis 1,2 etc.

This issue is with every G74SX or its just me? How can I solve this problem? Cuz with my old laptop with only 512 MB GPU and 2,2 Dual Core CPU I never had this problem...

My GPU is overclocked to 890/1780/1600 and using newest 301.42 drivers. Downgrading drivers to 296.10 has no effect.
16 REPLIES 16

Thx1138
Level 7
Did you try cleaning out the fans/ fan vents?
G72GX__ GeForce GTX 260M__ 6GB RAM__ Intel Core 2 Dou CPU p8700 @2.52GHz

Thx1138 wrote:
Did you try cleaning out the fans/ fan vents?

Nope, because my laptop is only 5 days old 🙂

Thx1138
Level 7
Since your G74 is only 5 days old, I might be a good idea to take it back, since this could be a graphics card problem.
Also, I watched a G74sx video of Battlefield, on what looks like high settings. He gets around 50-60s FPS but drops to high 40s around explosions and higher poly areas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1tkjL-nI0

Thx1138 wrote:
Since your G74 is only 5 days old, I might be a good idea to take it back, since this could be a graphics card problem.
Also, I watched a G74sx video of Battlefield, on what looks like high settings. He gets around 50-60s FPS but drops to high 40s around explosions and higher poly areas.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1tkjL-nI0

Hmm, I don't think this is hardware GPU problem because its happening only near smoke. Hoping someone with G4SX will confirm FPS drops. Or I will have to reinstall Windows 😞

brecker
Level 8
try throttlestop as well, there is a sticky named attention sandy bridge owners which contains a link for download

also you sure your oc values are stable? try setting them on stock

brecker wrote:
try throttlestop as well, there is a sticky named attention sandy bridge owners which contains a link for download

also you sure your oc values are stable? try setting them on stock

Yes, I'm using TS since I've got this laptop. Resetting to factory clocks makes FPS drop even worse xD. I think I'm phucked 😞 Google-ing this trouble didn't found solution. One guy said OC-ing to 890 helped him, but I have OC-ed GPU to 890 since second day. In forums I've found solutions only for SLI users. Changing values in nVidia CP has no effect. The only thing that helped was changing resolution to only 1280*720 just because my FPS was +-70 and it dropped to less than 30 in smokey scenes. I don't want to play games in this resolution because screen is extremely blurry and I can't see **** 😕 I don't want to reinstall Windows cuz I'm scared I'm going to loose all data with no effect again 😞 And I really don't think its hardware GPU issue because its happening only in smokey scenes. It must be software issue. I'll bet my worthless life on it 😄 Thanks for respond Sir.

scuk1nho wrote:
...I don't want to reinstall Windows cuz I'm scared I'm going to loose all data with no effect again 😞

If you had used Windows Backup and Restore to backup a Windows System Image, you could simply restore that earlier System Image, and if it had no effect, you could restore the current System Image (you just recently backed up) to get back to where you are now and try something else. It's a LOT easier than reinstalling Windows from scratch and you don't have to worry about data loss...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
If you had used Windows Backup and Restore to backup a Windows System Image, you could simply restore that earlier System Image, and if it had no effect, you could restore the current System Image (you just recently backed up) to get back to where you are now and try something else. It's a LOT easier than reinstalling Windows from scratch and you don't have to worry about data loss...

Ah yeah. When I bought this laptop there was Windows and all things from DVD already installed. Do you think that clean installation can help?

Thx1138
Level 7
What are your GPU temps while gaming?