cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchpad no longer disabled by hotkey (Fn + F9) and Backlight Error (G74S)

ShadeAssault
Level 7
Hey, been playing Mass 3 recently and discovered alot of times when I go into cover my gun randomly shoots (Particularly annoying in MP), I think that the culprit is that I do not disable my touchpad when using a mouse and bump the touchpad when mashing the spacebar. Decided to try it and found out that I cannot disable my touchpad anymore. Before everyone hounds me, I have looked (Or lurked) here for a while for other various errors. I thought I found the fix earlier with reinstalling my drivers, but all of the driver installations I have tried fail for some reason, I've tried both the Synaptics (15.3.17 and 15.2.20) and the Sentelic (9.1.3.5 and 9.1.7.7) and neither produce results, any ideas?

Note: I am 90% sure I have a Synaptics touchpad, as I remember both of my Laptops having the Synaptics logo in the bottom, I obviously no longer have that logo on the G74

As to the keyboard backlight, it's completely my fault. I pulled the laptop apart the other day to clean out the fans from dust. (I do it about yearly with my laptops and it was past due - 5 degrees C decrease at idle as of now) I had some issues when putting it back together and ended up having to do it a few times. I'm 95% sure that I did not miss anything this time, but was wondering if anyone knew WHICH cable supplied the power to the keyboard backlight so I can look for it when I open it again? (As I'm planning to buy a full 1080p replacement screen in the next few weeks)

If it helps:
G74S (From BestBuy)
1600x900 Resolution 900p Screen
Intel Core i7 2630QM
4x 4GB Samsung 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce 560M 2GB GDDR5
1x OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD (Optimized for Booting)
1x Western-Digital 1TB 5,200 RPM HDD

16GB Samsung DDR3 1333MHz
17.3" Screen at 900p (1600x900)
1x OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD Boot Drive
1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 5,200 RPM HDD
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
The hotkeys are part of the ATK package. That is what you want to reinstall.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I'll give it a try, but the touchpad hotkey is the only one that does not work (Well... aside from the keyboard backlight too, but that's hardware not the software as it still comes up when I press it)

brecker
Level 8
the keyboard has two cables, the small one is in charge of powering the backlights

dstrakele
Level 14
G74SX systems ship with both Sentelic and Synaptics touchpads. If I remember correctly, if you install the wrong driver to your touchpad, failure to disable is one of the symptoms.

I recommend you uninstall your current touchpad driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT, and let Microsoft install its Plug-n-Play touchpad driver. Then launch Device Manager, expand "Mice and other pointing devices", right-click on the touchpad device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu. Select the "Details" tab, and choose "Hardware Ids" from the dropdown menu" for Property. If the value reads "STLC141", you've got a Sentelic touchpad and should install Sentelic version 9.1.7.7. If Hardware Ids is something else, you should install the latest Synaptics driver version.

I don't know how you've previously changed touchpad drivers, but it could also be possible you have corrupt remnants from your previous driver installations. In this case, I'd recommend uninstalling the Sentelic driver from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", then booting into Safe Mode and running Driver Sweeper. Use it to remove any Sentelic or Synaptic remnants, (if they exist). You mght also want to follow up with CCleaner to clean out your registry. THEN reinstall the proper touchpad driver for your system.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Works now, thanks alot. Did not know about the ID, I'll remember that for the future.

So if anyone finds this through Google -- fixed by checking ID (Was SynV017 or something like that), downloading a generic Synaptics driver (Version 15.2.20), uninstalling the driver in device manager, restart, install Synaptics driver, restart... voila.

Now... just need to figure out why that ribbon cable for my keyboard backlight isn't working, cause I know which one it is and I KNOW I plugged it in.