cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX causes problems in Max Payne 3

talax
Level 7
First, I'd like to say that in general, I do like the card, it's a nice step up from the X-FI card I had previously.

When I first got Max Payne 3, it worked great.
I was playing around in the ASus Phoebus control panel, and then a couple days later I tried playing Max Payne 3 again. It downloaded an update from Rockstar's site.

After the update, nothing in the game worked (sound worked in some cutscenes, but not in-game and title screen, and I couldn't even move in the game (the animation for movement worked, but I wasn't moving anywhere).

I tried reinstalling the game, and still same thing.

finally, I went to the Asus Control Panel, and desparate, I turned off GX, and it worked.

Note that there is an audio section in the control panel where you can set stero, or surround, and those settings didn't make a difference either until I turned off GX.

So my suggestion to users is to NEVER have GX enabled unless you absolutely have to (I believe for older games).

it would be nice if the asus control panel is "set it and forget it", but it looks like unfortunately you have to tweak it a lot.
6 REPLIES 6

jpaylor
Level 7
Thanks for the heads-up, I just got the exact issues you described and will now try the game again without "GX" turned on.

I can't believe the problems this soundcard is causing right now!

Isn't the GX button only for old legacy EAX games and not intended for newer games that uses OpenAL? That could probably be why it causes an issue.

Gopher wrote:
Isn't the GX button only for old legacy EAX games and not intended for newer games that uses OpenAL? That could probably be why it causes an issue.

Yes, that is why 🙂

Gopher wrote:

While this is true, it is not at all explained in the soundcard software at the point where you decide to enable/disable it. Why should it be up to the gamer to know when to enable/disable this setting? It's poorly designed if you ask me, most people will enable the setting assuming they might be missing out on enhanced sound without it. Surely, if it's for legacy games, these should be detected and the software adjusted automatically, in the same way GPU graphics drivers would make adjustments automatically for recognised games.

If it wasn't for talax letting people know in these forums, it could have taken me weeks of fiddling around before I found out why Max Payne 3 was behaving very strangely with the setting turned on.

Anyway, at least with GX disabled the soundcard now works perfectly.

Asus programmers should do the following:
1) compile a list of games where GX is useful
2) find out what the executables for those games are
3) Create a profile (like a SLI profile for video cards) for those executable that enable GX for those, but otherwise leave GX disabled.
4) Remove the ability for the user to toggle it themselves by default (maybe allow it if they accept full responsiblity).

As designed the GX feature is useless, because who is going to remember to enable it for the (few) games that it can actually benefit?

If it was harmless for newer games, then I would leave it enabled all the time, but as you can see from this topic, that's not possible.