cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Boot Issue

Retired
Not applicable
I have zero issues with this lappy while it's running or when restarting, gaming etc. But I do have an annoying thing that keeps happening; Every once and a while when I power off (which I do nightly) the next day I press the power button and you can hear the fans starting up, you can see the three led lights on the top left light up as well as the led's in the front and the power button itself but the LED screen doesn't turn on. I've left it almost 15 minutes once just to see if it was 'hanging' it wasn't. So I'd shut it off and try again but with the same result. Eventually after maybe 3 or 4 attempts the screen would finally come on, I've noticed when it's not going to work the keyboard backlight won't...well....light. lol But when it does finally start properly the keyboard lights up and no problems from there.

I have OC'd but I've since then returned everything to default and sitll the same issue. It doesn't happen ALL the time and it doesn't seem to effect anything when it's on. Has anyone experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all! 😉

P.S. I'm new to the forums......HEY! lol
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
Since it's intermittent it will be difficult to troubleshoot and fix unfortunately. Takes 4 or 5 tries to start every time it has the failure you say? Next time it happens I would try removing the battery and unplugging it and then trying again. That should cause everything to completely reset. It would be an interesting experiment but I'm not sure that it will bring you any closer to a solution.

In terms of fixes you may want to make sure that your bios and video bios are both as up to date as possible but beyond that it sounds like an intermittent hardware failure.

Welcome to the forums!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Chastity
Level 10
Sounds possible the boot hdd is not being detected, or marginally so. I would reseat the hdd's, and update their firmware. They prolly have v3, current is v5. I'm gonna make a firmware pack for the 500G Seagates for bootable usb sticks.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Sounds great, I was thinking of doing something like that as well when I noticed my HDD's weren't up to date. Incidentally after two days at the Asus center my lappy is ready for pick-up! Real fast turn-a-round I must say. But I did drop it off in person. I will be picking her up tomorrow and I will let you know what was the actual problem. Thanks all for the help. 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
Okay so regarding my issue with the system not cold booting, after only 2 days at the Asus shop everything was fixed, the culprit you ask? A faulty GPU. So far so good I must say. However, I am weary about OCing again because when I put two-and-two together I realize that the problem I had only occurred AFTER I OC'd it. After such a short RMA turnaround I still might do it to rule it out as the cause. Will keep you all posted.

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, i have the same problem, but i have to restart only once before boot starts normally..
i have updated bios to v205 and chipset, but still no luck.. every time i try to cold boot my lap does do nothing... if i wait i can hear windows starting sound, but screen is still black, no video input even with an external monitor..

is there anything i can do to resolve this problem? maybe some boot option? i don't want to send it to asus assistance, i live in italy and here it takes ages to have computer back...

Retired
Not applicable
Unfortunately you may have to. Mine was a GPU issue where they had to change it out. I have talked to few other people with the same issue and they to had to RMA.