cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very grainy screen on G75

ReV1VeR
Level 7
Hello guys,

I just got a new G75 (G75VW-RS72-CA) from Canada Computers (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_371&item_id=049461).

Everything's great except for the screen: it's VERY grainy and distracting. I've read several reviews that noticed the graininess of the screen, but I believe that mine is an extreme case. It looks like tonnes of tiny colourful dots spaced out all over the screen.

Does anybody else have a similar issue? I'm aware that matte screens are more grainy, but it's somewhat hard to read text on a light background on mine.

Also, would it be possible to ask for a replacement in store (I'm still within the 7 day return period)? I understand that it depends on the store, but since the screen is usable just really bad I'm afraid it would be hard to convince them that it's a defect.
In the worst case scenario, do you think ASUS will replace it as an RMA?

Sorry for the vagueness in the description, taking a picture of a bright screen doesn't work.

Thanks,
Dmitry
20 REPLIES 20

dstrakele
Level 14
Are there any "brick and mortar" physical store retailers near you that have your model on display? You could then compare your screen to that of the display model to determine if an exchange is feasible.

Are you currently running at native 1920x1080 Full HD resolution?

I see specs for 3 different displays in the link you referenced:
Display 17.3" HD+/FHD EWV LED Backlight / FHD 3D LED Backlight
If you have the HD+ 1600x900 display, you'd probably be happier with a FULL HD 1920x1080.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Are there any "brick and mortar" physical store retailers near you that have your model on display? You could then compare your screen to that of the display model to determine if an exchange is feasible.

I see specs for 3 different displays in the link you referenced:
Display 17.3" HD+/FHD EWV LED Backlight / FHD 3D LED Backlight
If you have the HD+ 1600x900 display, you'd probably be happier with a FULL HD 1920x1080.

i have a freind who has the best buy model, and even his is 1920x1080, I'm pretty sure all G75's are 1920x1080, even the cheaper ones.

As to the OP, i am very happy w/ my screen, as i said a freind has the bb model and it is the same quality, im sure you could get one like mine that you would be happy with. Its very clear and other than having to get used to the matte(ive always had glossy) its been great.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

BrandeX
Level 9
Mine is the same way, it's pretty obnoxious, you have to try your best to "look past" the 1990's era television glass screen.

dstrakele wrote:

The screen is Full HD 1920x1080, and I've been running it at native resolution.

They actually did have a slightly different display model, almost certainly with the same screen. And the screen was pretty similar to mine, grainy as well. I thought it might be a faulty batch, but then the rest of their stock is likely to be the same.

BrandeX wrote:
Mine is the same way, it's pretty obnoxious, you have to try your best to "look past" the 1990's era television glass screen.

Well, I guess it's reasonably common. At least it's not noticeable with dark background. I just hope it doesn't harm the eyes since reading text on a light background is pretty straining.

Also, my display hardware Id is CMO 1720 (Chi Mei). Does anyone have different display models?
To check: Device Manager -> Monitors -> right click on "Generic PNP Monitor" (or similar) -> Properties. Then open details tab and select Hardware Ids.

Thanks for the replies

waynes26
Level 7
Mine screen looks great, IE no funny lines or dots. It is the 3d model. See screen shot.

G75vw-91132v 🙂
i7 3610QM
16 GB SDRAM
GTX 670M
17.3" FHD 3D LED Backlight
1x 240gb Intel 520 1x 1TB 5400rpm

waynes26 wrote:
Mine screen looks great, IE no funny lines or dots. It is the 3d model. See screen shot.

Yea, mine is not 3D, I forgot to mention.

And the hardware id for your display is different, it's LG. So the graininess might be specific to a manufacturer or a batch.

Thanks

Retired
Not applicable
According to our review of the Asus G75VW, the fullHD non 3d screen is just AMAZING.

The color gamut is almost rgb perfect

the 2.2 gamma curve is perfect

The screen itself is crystal clear. The pixels are small, invisible. There is no graininess or any visual artifact.

I guess you got a defective or cheaper batch of screen.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/1158-asus-g75vw-la-gaming-station-secondo-asus?showall=&start=... - LCD test

Daevart wrote:
According to our review of the Asus G75VW, the fullHD non 3d screen is just AMAZING.

The color gamut is almost rgb perfect

the 2.2 gamma curve is perfect

The screen itself is crystal clear. The pixels are small, invisible. There is no graininess or any visual artifact.

I guess you got a defective or cheaper batch of screen.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/1158-asus-g75vw-la-gaming-station-secondo-asus?showall=&start=... - LCD test

I agree, all I had to do was calibrate the contrast, was a little high.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
I agree, all I had to do was calibrate the contrast, was a little high.

Why are you diggin up this thread? there are numerous other ones proclaiming the Chi Mei as a hunk of garbage. If you have some wonderous solution I'd love to hear it, but if you're setting contrast via the NVIDIA utility (in the sidebar) your settings are going to disappear as soon as you restart or shutdown. This IS an issue with all G75VW-BBK5's I saw on display at Best Buy and my own and several others' here. If you aren't seeing it on your G75 but you have the Chi Mei screen, chances are you're just not noticing it or using the computer to do things in which it would be blatantly obvious (photo editing, gaming, umm actually LOOKING at your screen...)
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz