cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW driver CD & new OS install

MUPiSz
Level 7
regarding the driver cd that came with the G75VW, i put in a new SSD for boot drive, installed Windows 7 Ultimate "N".

then started the CD to install asus drivers, etc. the "InstAll.exe" app only listed what OS's would work. the "Start64.cmd" i take it needs to be edited for valid drive letter.

any hoo, does one install the whole cd so the G75VW runs correctly or can one pick and chose? i'd prefer not to install unnecessary stuff.

so far i installed the nvidia, intel chipset and lan drivers/apps.
5 REPLIES 5

jonzjitsu
Level 7
you're going to get screwed hahaha, I upgraded mine as well now I have boot errors very often... no problems if I use the original hdd it came with though haha

jonzjitsu wrote:
you're going to get screwed hahaha, I upgraded mine as well now I have boot errors very often... no problems if I use the original hdd it came with though haha

it boots up just fine with new SSD as boot drive and new Windows 7.

i'll keep the original 5400 HDD as spare in a drawer as i put in a second drive with a WD 7200 black scorpio.

sorry to hear about your boot errors

john_from_ohio
Level 11
MUPiSz wrote:
regarding the driver cd that came with the G75VW, i put in a new SSD for boot drive, installed Windows 7 Ultimate "N".

You picked N for the OS install drive letter?

I would start over ... pull out any other drive and just use the SSD. Clean install again but default to C as the OS driver letter.

Then install all the drivers on disk ( and software too I guess ) then immediately take out / uninstall Asus Live Update utility.

There really is not a lot of bloatware and much of the 3rd party software is not bad unless you have better stuff available.

john_from_ohio wrote:
You picked N for the OS install drive letter?

I would start over ... pull out any other drive and just use the SSD. Clean install again but default to C as the OS driver letter.

Then install all the drivers on disk ( and software too I guess ) then immediately take out / uninstall Asus Live Update utility.

There really is not a lot of bloatware and much of the 3rd party software is not bad unless you have better stuff available.

yes, not much bloatware at all on that cd, thankfully. wasn't too difficult to navigate the cd manually.

i picked 'N' as i use kmplayer so i don't really require the ms media package.

yeah, i ended up just installing manually the drivers from the asus cd and i didn't install the live update util.

the drive letter in question is the one in the start64.cmd file on the asus util/driver cd. not sure why asus would put a driver letter in that file like that unless the rescue dvd's create it and are aware of it. one can use "subst" cmd to create drive "U:" for drive "C:" but the heck with that. everything installed fine manually.

a few of the utils/drivers on the asus CD didn't apply to my machine, like Intel Pro wireless, etc. my machine has atheros wireless.

it boots fine and runs fine, so far. thx for the replies & appreciate the help

Carleton
Level 7
Some of the Apps can be changed to run as the compatibility of the program it is designed for. In other words change the setup to run as Windows 8 or 7 etc. if installing on Windows 10 etc.