cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V gene q-55

Retired
Not applicable
Alright so I'm getting the dreaded q-55 code.
I've made sure all the connections are fine, updated to the latest 903 bios, reseated the ram and the cpu, done just about everything i could think of (its my first build)
Anyway I'm not sure what the problem is. It boots up, goes through the normal routine, and after about 10-15 seconds it turns itself off after giving the q-55 code.

My build is:

Intel i7-2700k CPU
Corsair H100 Water Cooler
Corsair Vengence 16GB (4x4GB) ram at 1600mhz DDR3
Asus Maximus V Gene Motherboard
850W Kentek PSU

No monitor as of this moment.
22 REPLIES 22

8_Pack
Level 12
loosen the cpu cooler a couple of turns and try again mate with one stick furthest red socket and bios reset.

Retired
Not applicable
I have almost the exact same system setup as you - except a Corsair H60 instead of the 100. Some observations based on my now 4 week history with this board, 1 RMA (for a board that was NOT defective) and Asus non-existent and uninformed Tech Support:

1) The Q55 Problem (and the A2 problem) is NOT likely hardware related at all and due to the buggy bios and board state right now. I know this experience swapping out everything with new products and finding exact same issues - as have many on this forum.

2) The Q55 error in my experience was overcome by trial and error. Started by loosening and then snugging the water block on the CPU (just in case). Asus technical support told me wildly different things - usually 'Just RMA it' - absolutely no help at all.

3) Keep trying the CMOS Clear button and restarting. My repeatable problems with Q-A2 and Q-55 seemed to randomly fix themselves for no apparent reason after long bouts of playing with restarts. As if the 'motor would suddenly decide to catch and start'.

4) My last 'fix' was through a ROG Bios update on the back USB port (even though I was already at the most recent June bios) and then a couple of restarts with the CMOS Clear button.

Again there seems to be no rhyme or reason for when it finally 'fixed' itself - but once up and running without my further messing with it has been rock stable.

What is my takeaway from many, many calls to Tech Support, two boards, 4 Video cards, two sets of memory? That this Maximus V Gene board/bios combination is very buggy and unstable still and the Q errors are not completely (if at all) understood by ASUS tech folks yet.

Keep trying - again I doubt it is any of your hardware at fault.

Retired
Not applicable
Guys

exact same issue here !! Code 55, and tried 2 different brand of memory but always get the code 55 and never reach the BIOS stage!! Can you please be more specific by sayiong what bios flashback exactly you used? where can i get it?

any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks

I've seen both A2 and 55 at different times. I know these general tips do not seem important considering the number of ROGers seeing these issues, but they do work for some people. The MVG is a picky board:

- As 8pack suggested loosen/re-seat your CPU cooler. I had screws torqued down pretty well when I saw code 55.

- I also emptied the RAM slots and use compressed air to clean them out before re-installing modules (4x4GB).

- Re-seat your SATA cables. A2 is something like IDE detect and adjusting your SATA cables may have nothing to with it, but it is an easy task.
Intel Core i5-2500K : ASUS Maximus V Gene : ASUS Matrix GTX 580 Platinum : ASUS Xonar Essence STX 7.1 :
G.Skill Sniper 16GB : OCZ Vertex 3 240GB : Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750 : Silverstone TJ08B-E mATX

RazorCat
Level 10
Maximus V does have many problems, glad I didn't switch to it, I almost had...

@ topic: Have you tried updating to the latest bios? Ive read there's a new one released a couple of days ago... it might help... 🙂
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

8_Pack
Level 12
Try only one stick of RAM also guys 55 is often related to the second dimm channel. A2 is not normally a problem its just telling you what mode the disk controller is in e.g A2 AHCI A3 IDE etc etc .

8 Pack wrote:
Try only one stick of RAM also guys 55 is often related to the second dimm channel. A2 is not normally a problem its just telling you what mode the disk controller is in e.g A2 AHCI A3 IDE etc etc .

Yeah I would go in this direction as well.

55 often happens to me swapping some ripjaws on 1.7V with trident (both PSC based, one optimized for lower vcore, the other one eating it)
reproducable many times and the fix is always the same.
swap rams --> "55" --> clear cmos --> "55" power down manually --> only use 1 dimm in first red channel to the CPU socket --> power on --> bios --> set 1.7V and load loose PSC profile --> restart --> bios --> power down --> insert second dimm --> works

I think "55" is something deep into memory timings not beeing compatible between either pre-setting and your ram or the first boot-up with whatever it wants to load.

As for "A2" I just had a bad experience with my OCZ Petrol SSD. These drives are cheap, but die like flies.
This can definitly cause "A2". My drive died during cool-down and on every 2nd boot I got "A2" --> swapped the SSD to some old Mushkin with no idea what controller and called it a day. Occured as soon as I exceeded 106 BCLK...not sure if this was the reason or just bad timing.

So for "A2" on reboots or in general might check your disk (SSD) just to narrow it down.
now benching on: LN2 | 3770K | Maximus V Extreme | 2x GTX 580 Matrix Platinum | SSD | Cooler Master 1500W
Proud to be ASUS PowerUser!

Hi Guys,

I'm having same problem with my G.Skill F1-12800CL9D-8GBSR after I upgraded my processor from i3-2100 to i5-3570K. Motherboard / Processor is accepting only one Stick in first Red slot... I tried everything like... resetting CMOS, removing battery, loosening Hyper 212 Evo cooler... tweaking RAM cycles... but no matter what when I put in 2 sticks... it shows 55 qcode... Can somebody help please ?

Regards,
Mandar
CPU + Mobo :: Core i5 3570K + Asus Maximus V Formula
CPU Cooler :: Corsair H80
GFX :: Asus HD7950 Direct CUII + Sapphire HD7950 Dual-X
RAM :: GSkill TridentX 2400 CL10 16GB
Storage :: Corsair SSD - 60GB + Seagate Baracuda - 1TB
PSU :: Corsair AX 850
Cabinet :: Silverstone Raven RV03
Keyboard + Mouse :: Logitech G110 + Razer DeathAdder
Audio :: JBL Creature III + Razer Megalodon 7.1
Display :: AOC e2352Phz

Janus67
Level 7
I've been having the same issue (code 55) after swapping my 3770k for my old 2600k to test my RAM. Will try swapping back to the 3770k to see if it persists.