Retired
Not applicable
Specs:

Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHZ (2.8GHZ OC)
750GB HD
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 560m 2GB Ram

Problem:

I've had my Asus ROG laptop ever since January this year. I have not had any problems with it until a week ago.
Whenever I made my laptop sleep and turn it back on it doesn't boot up the ASUS logo and Windows. There is also no sound if ASUS booted (Yes, I enabled the sound before on the BIOS menu) or if windows did too. The keyboard also lights up for a moment then disappears.

I didn't use it for almost a week and brought it at my local ASUS support center. When I got there, the technician started it up and it worked. Then it gave an error which indicated that it was unable to restore itself from hibernation.

I had it fixed at the local support center of ASUS by upgrading the BIOS from 203 to 209.

Last night, I shut down my computer and went to bed. Today I'm experiencing the SAME problem as before.

Do any of you have any idea what the problem is?
3 REPLIES 3

Retired
Not applicable
I had a similar problem with my G73SW a month or two ago and it turned out that my GPU connections were loose (I hadn't dropped it or anything so a little surprising.)

dstrakele
Level 14
From what I've read in this forum, the "boot to black screen" issue is almost always a hardware problem. Discharging the laptop by unplugging, removing all peripherals and battery, holding the power button down for 30 seconds, plugging in and starting will sometimes offer a temporary fix (and may explain why your issue was not reproduced at the Service Center after sitting idle for a week).

Your issue sounds similar to the "magnetic switch" issue ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-cl...), if you have configured closing the lid to "Do Nothing". However, that fails to explain the error on Resume from hibernation when the display is functioning, unless this is a 2nd issue.

Testing if a magnet rubbed on the wrist rest near the switch (as discussed in the referenced thread) will cause the laptop to display video would help to confirm if the cause is related to the magnetic switch.

You could also attach your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV. If the HDTV displays video on startup, but the laptop does not, a bad LVDS cable or cable connection could be the problem. If both fail to display video, a poorly-seated GPU may be the cause.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
From what I've read in this forum, the "boot to black screen" issue is almost always a hardware problem. Discharging the laptop by unplugging, removing all peripherals and battery, holding the power button down for 30 seconds, plugging in and starting will sometimes offer a temporary fix (and may explain why your issue was not reproduced at the Service Center after sitting idle for a week).

Your issue sounds similar to the "magnetic switch" issue ( http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-cl...), if you have configured closing the lid to "Do Nothing". However, that fails to explain the error on Resume from hibernation when the display is functioning, unless this is a 2nd issue.

Testing if a magnet rubbed on the wrist rest near the switch (as discussed in the referenced thread) will cause the laptop to display video would help to confirm if the cause is related to the magnetic switch.

You could also attach your laptop to an external monitor or HDTV. If the HDTV displays video on startup, but the laptop does not, a bad LVDS cable or cable connection could be the problem. If both fail to display video, a poorly-seated GPU may be the cause.

I initially had the same issue and tried all of the above. The magnet resolution was an annoying temp fix, but I ended up taking apart the laptop and removing the HAL Sensor from the trackpad ribbon cable. Ever since, never had that issue again.