Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 4 mother board connections.

Beastbuild_up
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I have certain issues about rampage 4 extreme motherboard connections:-

1>There are 3 ATX power connectors on the board(24-pin EATXPWR; 4-pinEATX12V_1; 8-pinEATX12V_2)
Do we have to connect both or any one of the 4-pinEATX12V_1; 8-pinEATX12V_2..........

2>I am going to use Corsair Dominator series 32gb ram(4X8gb; 1600Mhz),
so do I need to connect 4-pin EZ_PLUG_2, which is used to provide stable power supply to the DIMMs......

3>I am going to use ASUS gtx690, so do I need to connect 6-pin EZ_PLUG_1,
which is used to provide sufficient power supply to the graphics Card....

4>As I am going to use ASUS gtx 690, I will be using 3 monitor set up, so if I plug in the OC key then do I have to use only one monitor?

Please....Help me out......

My Pc Configuration is:-
1>Asus Rampage 4 extreme motherboard.
2>Asus gtx690.
3>Inter i7 3960X.
4>Corsair Dominator series 32gb ram(4X8gb; 1600Mhz).
5>Corsair AX1200w psu.
6>Corsair Obsidian Series 800D case.
7>Corsair Hydro Series H100 cpu cooler.

Thanks!

Rampage 4 Extreme.
ASUS Gtx 690(4 gb).
Intel i7 3960x.
Corsair Dominator 4X8gb(1600 Mhz).
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Cpu cooler.
Corsair AX1200 psu.
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D full tower Case.

7 REPLIES 7

Baalberith_NL
Level 10
Hi and welcome to the ROG forums,

For extreme overclocking u can use both 8 and 4pin. Otherwise with my similar system, at a 4.4GHz OC the 8pin will do fine. As for the EZ plug, i dont use it myself with 8x4GB modules, and system is rockstable at P95 for hours.

Concerning the vidcard, the slot itself and the 8pins on the card should be sufficient.

All that said, it never hurts to just hookup all powercables (depends on how neat u can stuff them away :P) as they wont draw any extra power or produce heat when not used by the system.

On the OC Key i cant give any comment due to not using/used it personally.

Hope this was a little helpfull,

Remco
AMD 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
64GB G. Skill 3600Mhz C16
Cooler Master Master Liquid PL360 Flux
Be Quiet Dark Power 12 Pro 1500Watt
2 x Samsung 980Pro 1TB
1 x 10TB WD Black
1 x Asus Strix RTX 3080Ti OC
CoolerMaster C700M
Samsung G7 Odyssey 32inch

Baalberith_NL wrote:
Hi and welcome to the ROG forums,

For extreme overclocking u can use both 8 and 4pin. Otherwise with my similar system, at a 4.4GHz OC the 8pin will do fine. As for the EZ plug, i dont use it myself with 8x4GB modules, and system is rockstable at P95 for hours.

Concerning the vidcard, the slot itself and the 8pins on the card should be sufficient.

All that said, it never hurts to just hookup all powercables (depends on how neat u can stuff them away :P) as they wont draw any extra power or produce heat when not used by the system.

On the OC Key i cant give any comment due to not using/used it personally.

Hope this was a little helpfull,

Remco

Hi ,
Thanks that was very helpful, as I am new to this Overclocking concept.......
One more thing to fit corsair H100 to my R4E motherboard, do I have to remove the back plate that came with the board
and replace it with the extra back plate provided ...?

Rampage 4 Extreme.
ASUS Gtx 690(4 gb).
Intel i7 3960x.
Corsair Dominator 4X8gb(1600 Mhz).
Corsair Hydro Series H100 Cpu cooler.
Corsair AX1200 psu.
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D full tower Case.

Beastbuild_up wrote:
One more thing to fit corsair H100 to my R4E motherboard, do I have to remove the back plate that came with the board
and replace it with the extra back plate provided ...?

You won't know until you try to mount the cooler. For the majority of people there is no issue. But for others (which includes myself) the cooler won't fit properly using the LGA 2011 backplate and the X-Socket backplate becomes necessary.

VistaKing
Level 9
BeastBuild_up Read this http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/socket-2011-cooler-mounting-guide to answer your question

Created by DaemonCantor and Adam

8_Pack
Level 12
1) 2) and 3) Connect all power connections to make sure you have stable power to all components. This is essential when it comes to overclocking them or even stable operation at stock.

4) I don't use the OC Key prefering ROG connect. But you can still use three monitors the overlayed details will only be on one though.

VistaKing
Level 9
The OC key I believe you would need a monitor that has a DVI-D (single link) cable.

Created by DaemonCantor and Adam

Zka17
Level 16
+1 vote for 8 Pack's idea: connect all available power connectors! It won't do any harm having all of them connected... but may make the system more stable in certain conditions (specially during OC'ing)