cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future Midrange Build.

__PTB__
Level 7
Hello All,
This is my First official post here on the forums.. so, Hello.
Anyways, I'm getting ready to build a new mid-range gaming rig & thought I would run my configuration by everyone here in the hopes that if there is the possibility of a conflict with some of the hardware I have chosen someone here will catch it.

I have done quiet a bit of research on each component & I "think" everything is compatible, but you never know.. better to be sure & avoid having to send something back & replace it with something that is compatible.

Some of the games I plan to buy & play.
Battlefield 3.
Diablo III.
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.
Medal of Honor Warfighter.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Case: COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper.
Power Supply: OCZ ZT Series 650W Fully-Modular.
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene.
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K.
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 612 PWM.
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120G.
Memory: Kingston HyperX XMP Genesis 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz.
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW.
Optical Drive: LITE-ON Blu-ray Combo - ihes112-04-OEM.
Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms.
Mouse: Logitech G700.
Keyboard: Logitech G19.

As of today 06-18-2012 the current configuration is right at $2000.00, I'll be placing two separate orders.. the first in mid July ($1000) & the second in Mid August ($1000.) I'm hoping some of the prices drop & or something better hits the market in the mean time & I can "Upgrade" a component or two & or save a few bucks.

So, if you see anything I may have missed, please let me know.
Thanks, Phil B.
9 REPLIES 9

Zka17
Level 16
It seems pretty OK... just two comments: memory and SSD.

Be sure that your planned memory kit is compatible with the mobo (check the QVL).

Be aware that it's not good to fill up the SSD... it will slow it down and shorten the lifespan... it's good to leave a 30-40% free of the SSD's caspacity - it may be enough for the OS and those games you mentioned, but if you store some additional pics/movies, you can fill it up very fast... do you think that you could fit in the budget some HDD for storage?

Zka17,
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I forgot to mention that I already have a 300GB WD VelociRaptor I'll be using as storage/Backup. I have never needed any large amounts of storage.. I usually save photos etc to disc, thumb drives or online. I have no netflix/blockbuster type accounts, as for movies/tv, I have a decent "Home Theater" for my blu-ray/dish/local HDTV viewing.
Again, Thanks.. Phil B.

.:PTB:. wrote:
I guess I forgot to mention that I already have a 300GB WD VelociRaptor I'll be using as storage/Backup.

There you go! Now just be sure that the memory kit you choose will fit with the mobo... 🙂

Good luck!

Zka17,
I checked the ram (QVL) then I checked it again & then a third time. lol Now, lets just hope for some higher speed hardware or a decent price drop.. or both!
Thanks, Phil B.

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
Unless your planning to overclock you could drop the CPU cooler to save some money. Stock coolers get the job done. Also I strongly advise you pay a bit extra for a full retail copy of windows 7 rather than OEM.

Silver Wolf wrote:
Also I strongly advise you pay a bit extra for a full retail copy of windows 7 rather than OEM.

And why would you make a suggestion like this mate? as far as I have known, there is no difference between the Retail and OEM editions of Windows....well, except the fact we're supposed to incorporate a copy of it in a hidden partition or some junk...not that I did or will do, not on my own rig anyway 😛

Though, if you do know of some major differences between the retail and OEM versions, please do enlighten me...i'm now curious 🙂

Retail: Not tied to the hardware you use.. you can freely upgrade major system components.

OEM: Is "tied" to the hardware you install in on. IE, you change/upgrade motherboards, this is considered an "new" system.. there for requiring you to buy a new OS license key. I beleave this is how it works.. I also hear all you have to do is make a call to Microsoft & they will issue you a new Key for free!?

Don't quote me on any of this! lol
Later, Phil B.

kkn
Level 14
are you planing to add more in to the setup of yours later in time? if so i would personaly recomend a larger psu, if your gona oc and/or add a second gpu down the line.
becouse menny of the graphic cards that nvidia put out recomends a 500W - 550W minimum psu for one card.
one card can pull up to around 200W if its power hungry.

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
As PTB said Retail licenses are not tied to your hardware but there is a little more to it than that. To get into detail here OEM copies are locked to your MAC address which cannot be changed or faked so if you change the motherboard or install a network card you have a different MAC address and the software won't work. Other than that you can change your hardware as you like. As for MS giving you another key for free if you call them I haven't heard of this being the case and judging by what microsoft are like with everything else I doubt it.