cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX-BBK9 laptop just died- only a few months old!

alru
Level 7
My G74SX-BBK9 laptop just died. Black screen, dead, no lights, nothing. Pulling out battery, putting it back in, nothing. What a piece of garbage. Just purchased it from the great Best Buy a few months ago. I am sure it is still under warranty. With all of the many laptops and desk tops of numerous brands- never an Asus, by the way, that I've owned over the years, I've never had one just die. Burn out, whatever.

I have looked around the threads and it seems I'm not alone in this occurence. Great. Thanks, Asus.

If anyone has any thoughts other than go scream at Asus with futile hand gestures, please let me know. My advice: don't buy another Asus laptop. Ever.
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
Try opening the back of your laptop and removing and reseating the memory. If you notice oxidized residue on any of the contacts, try cleaning it off with an alcohol solution. Try starting the system with a single memory stick, if necessary.

If your battery is fully discharged, and your power adapter has died, that would also give similar startup behavior. Try testing with an alternate power adapter if possible.

A dead video graphics adapter can also result in a system that displays no life on startup. If reseating the memory fails, you'll likely be sending your system in for a motherboard replacement, since the VGA is soldered to the motherboard.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Gorman
Level 12
Don't do what dstrakele said, ASUS support seem to have a bad habit of blaming the user for everything, so don't give them any ammo to use against you.
Besides that, it is under warranty so RMA should fix it.

By the way, even if the product is completely faulty, ASUS will refuse to give a refund and you will have to fight pretty hard just to get it replaced.
You've already fallen in to the ASUS trap, enjoy your death!

just take it to best buy and they will fix it for you, usually it takes about a week to get it back .
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

Or maybe there was storm and your laptop got 100 000 Volts.
Gorman: I have no problem with ASUS support.
Maybe your power adapter is broken and your battery is empty.

scuk1nho wrote:
Or maybe there was storm and your laptop got 100 000 Volts.
Gorman: I have no problem with ASUS support.
Maybe your power adapter is broken and your battery is empty.

And maybe the gods have sent me a
Your response is interesting. I guess the fabulous ASUS tech support of poorly training young people with little experience or real knowledge of computers and located in the Carribean is up to your standards. Not mine. Being no fool, I'm pretty darn sure that my particular ASUS model is a design nightmare of cheap components. This is the first and last ASUS I will ever purchase. Luckily I have purchase insurance and will have the purchase covered.

ASUS warranty policy is illegal in the US by the way.

alru wrote:
And maybe the gods have sent me a
Your response is interesting. I guess the fabulous ASUS tech support of poorly training young people with little experience or real knowledge of computers and located in the Carribean is up to your standards. Not mine. Being no fool, I'm pretty darn sure that my particular ASUS model is a design nightmare of cheap components. This is the first and last ASUS I will ever purchase. Luckily I have purchase insurance and will have the purchase covered.

ASUS warranty policy is illegal in the US by the way.

Best Buy models are questionable. While I have had 3 different Asus ROG Series laptops, The first was a G60/G51 (I believe) which was a Best Buy model. It had a similar BBK model # and because of this, it had different hardware from regular retail channel laptops of the same model. One of the reasons I replaced it, was because a QuadCore processor could not be put into it. It would take upto a C2D Extreme, but not a QuadCore, while the other Retail channel laptops of the same model would take a C2Q without issue.

Also, the Best Buy models have prices that are normally well below the Normal Retail equivalent of the same model. I have a feeling you get what you pay for. For that reason, I went with Asus laptops other then Best Buy branded models from that point on.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
Best Buy models are questionable. While I have had 3 different Asus ROG Series laptops, The first was a G60/G51 (I believe) which was a Best Buy model. It had a similar BBK model # and because of this, it had different hardware from regular retail channel laptops of the same model. One of the reasons I replaced it, was because a QuadCore processor could not be put into it. It would take upto a C2D Extreme, but not a QuadCore, while the other Retail channel laptops of the same model would take a C2Q without issue.

Also, the Best Buy models have prices that are normally well below the Normal Retail equivalent of the same model. I have a feeling you get what you pay for. For that reason, I went with Asus laptops other then Best Buy branded models from that point on.

You've just explained everything! Man, do I feel stupid! I've contacted my attorney general since I want a replacment, not a fix after owning this thing for less than 90 days. I guess as an oldster I prefer the right of law to the patient fool.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
alru wrote:
My G74SX-BBK9 laptop just died. Black screen, dead, no lights, nothing. Pulling out battery, putting it back in, nothing.

Did you ever uninstall the asus live update utility? Possible that a BIOS update thru winflash bricked the machine ...

kimiraikkonen
Level 7
Actually i'm really disappointed that Asus have decreased build quality too much. I miss the "old" Asus. Their motherboards and the cards were really great and solid. Now having paid more than 2000 bucks for my RoG with my country's currency, it's really making me and my friends furious when i find build quailty defects, flaws and engineering-flaws.

Some stores like you described sells refurbished models but some refurbished models are much great than my brand-new RoG Asus. So it's really a matter of chance. I'd return or exchange the defective one if you can't live with it. Another good idea is to decrypt that kind of stores on popular forums (like here) to avoid anybody purchasing there again.

HTH.
ASUS G53JW-XA1