cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Extreme IV - Issues with PCI-E 3.0 , VSYNC ON, USB 3.0

clayton006
Level 7
Specs First:
3930k @ 4.4Ghz (Prime Stable for 8+ hours)
32GB Kingston Hyperx 1600 CAS 9 DDR3 (took 8 sticks out of two packs totalling 48GB initially, all tested and verified good)
Three GTX 670 4GB Video
Vertex 2 240GB (For OS and testing for now)
Asus Xonar U3 USB sound
SilverStone 1500w power supply
Plugged in all power connections (EATX 4pin, EATX 8pin, Floppy power for DIMM's, PCI-E 6pin for additional slot power, 24pin, etc...)

Windows 7 64-bit SP1 (all windows updates applied)
Installed all software on CD for drivers and utilities (updated Intel chipset and Enterprise storage drivers)
Fresh and clean install (also using driver sweeper) of Nvidia 301.42 WHQL driver

BIOS version 1305 (had tried the latest BIOS but found this one to be stable)
(unless where noted below, all other values were set by "load optimized defaults":
--Mem BIOS Settings
Followed Easy O/C guide:
AI O/C Tuner Manual instead of XMP, set ram to 1.65v as on package, 1600MHz set manually
--CPU BIOS Settings
Turbo - By all cores can adjust in OS (Set to 44)
CPU VCORE Voltage - Offset mode (Sign is "+")
CPU VCORE Offset Voltage - AUTO
CPU VCCSA Voltage - Offset mode (Sign is "+")
CPU VCCSA Offset Voltage - AUTO
--DIGI+
Load-Line Calibration - Ultra High
CPU Power Phase Control - Optimized
--Other options
Disabled on-board sound

Problem 1) Nvidia graphics instability
I've narrowed the first problem down that I may have one bad video card out of four when enabling PCI-E 3.0. PCI-E 2.0 I didn't have any erratic behavior in my old SR-2 system or this one. I honestly don't think the fourth card is bad, but so far the three cards left over have been good except the problem I describe below.

Now with three good running cards I have an issue now when vsync is enabled in any game. The video driver will crash and cause my system to hang and lock up. It appears that in-game vsync off, and adaptive vsync on seems to not cause this issue. Is there something with my CPU not clocking high enough or possibly turning speed step off that may help this problem? Should I disable PCI-E 3.0 and re-test? If disabling PCI-E 3.0 works, it sounds like I have a bad motherboard...? It may be worth mentioning that I did have PCI-E 3.0 stability issues before I started overclocking anything (but at that time I had my DIMM's at the default 1.5v which is way too low for my memory.)

Problem 2) USB 3.0 hard drives attach/detach multiple times in a second
These two seagate USB 3.0 drives have been flawless on my SR-2 system, my other SB ASUS system, and my Dell Laptop. I've noticed that when these hard drives are attached to my RIVE, that when I reboot the attach light (no activity light on the drives) will start blinking constantly like they are being attached and removed multiple times per second. If I re-attach them by removing the cable and re-attaching it the issue goes away, but I'm curious if this doesn't point to a voltage or stability issue that may also be causing me issues with the video cards and display problems. Also, every once in a while my wired 360 controller and mouse will periodically just stop responding (happened to me twice in the last 5 days) even though the devices still have power.

I have made sure my mainboard is not grounded out on the side of the case or at the bottom. Any suggestions on next steps?
22 REPLIES 22

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
why is your Load-Line Calibration set to Ultra High? Since your CPU VCORE is set to auto... what is the voltage readout?
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

I'll check that when I finish my next round of tests. I noticed that my RAM was failing even though I had it set to the right CAS and right voltage. Manually setting it to DDR3-1600 it doesn't like.

I'm trying it out now with my XMP profile and auto for the ram speed (instead of manually setting it to 1600). So far it looks like it's working and not getting the vsync issue.

I'll set back up the overclock soon and respond back with voltages.

Since my RAM is now working right and I had multiple issues with it when I loaded windows 7, updates, and video (and other) drivers, is it worth re-installing all of that all over again for stability reasons? Or should it not really matter that much?

So I found out that I have to install only 6 DIMMs since I'm putting in triple channel memory. Now my memory checks out fine, just PCI-E still has some weird bugs going on. If I do vsync on most often than not RE5 will crash (driver lockup). Batman plays okay at 8132x1600, but if I play it at 2560x1600 at some point it will lock up. It's like if my GPU's aren't being used to the max at some point (or a few reboots later) they will lock up. I've tried reinstalling 301.42 multiple times (the latest beta drivers made the behavior worse). I'm thinking for whatever reason, my combination doesn't like PCI-E 3.0.

I doubt the motherboard could be bad, but it is a revision 1 board. Any idea what impact that would have?

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
instead of loading optimized defaults in the bios... Try the stock settings first and see if that works for you...

If it does.. then set memory to XMP... set your multiplier by all cores to 44.. and set your CPU voltage manually... leave all other settings alone.. unless you run raid, etc.
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner

Any suggestions on where to set vcore? 1.4 is what its going right now for auto.
And stock CPU I believe doesn't help either...

clayton006 wrote:
Any suggestions on where to set vcore? 1.4 is what its going right now for auto.
And stock CPU I believe doesn't help either...

I will tell you that I have a 3960X @ 4.8Ghz with VCORE manually set to 1.375 ...

so 1.4 VCORE for your 3930K @ 4.4 sounds high to me.... Try 1.350...

BTW... I had mine set to auto voltage once.. with my 4.8 overlock.. and it auto set to something around 1.45.. way too high... so sometimes auto isnt best... especially on a board like this that has SOOO many features.

Also... what are your temps with your CPU at 4.4 and 1.4v?
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner

Under 100% load they are around 68c

I'll play around with stock and see if the games are stable there with PCI-E 3.0. I should probably change the nvidia power setting from adaptive to maximum performance as well and see if that helps out any.

clayton006 wrote:
Under 100% load they are around 68c

I'll play around with stock and see if the games are stable there with PCI-E 3.0. I should probably change the nvidia power setting from adaptive to maximum performance as well and see if that helps out any.

try not to make too many changes at one time.. or it will make it harder to pinpoint exactly what the issue is...

Also.. Here is new Nvidia beta drivers http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/304.48/304.48-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta.exe (64-BIT)

And for USB3 ... there's newer firmware that may/may not help: http://station-drivers.com/telechargement/asmedia/asmedia_asm104x_12220E(www.station-drivers.com).ex...

that firmware is flashed using a bootable USB thumbdrive.. instructions are included in the download...

Hope this helps.
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980