cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FN Keys with Ubuntu 12.04

c_inconnu
Level 8
Hi,
Does someone know how to enable the FN keys with Ubuntu 12.04 ?
Or at least how to change the brightness ?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

c_inconnu
Level 8
For brightness control, I found that http://askubuntu.com/questions/126441/brightness-controls-doesnt-work-on-a-macbook-pro-5-5-ubuntu-12...

But I couldn't find anything for the other fn keys. They are not even recognized by xev nor keymap so I think there is no hope there... I'm starting to regret my tower :mad:

xeromist
The FN keys are software supported on Windows via the ATK package. I'm not sure how you'd do it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

thanks for your reply.
i actually have a dual boot and all features are working under windows.
but under ubuntu that's quite another story... a collegue of mine told me today that asus laptops are known to have a bad linux support, or the other way around for some cases. so i should have checked before, that's on me 😞

All the Fn keys work under Ubuntu 12.10 alpha 3 as of this writing. Well, minus the screen brightness. However, screen brightness is supported by Ubuntu (worked on my MacBook Pro, and my Dell XPS) and I am sure that a driver update will fix this.

rrohde, iv been toying with 12.10 this weekend. Are you able to get somewhat uncrashing Compiz+unity?. im on the properity drivers, not noevaue. Noevaue does accually get me logged in but everything crashes almost instantly.

sorry for hijack.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.

rhozac wrote:
rrohde, iv been toying with 12.10 this weekend. Are you able to get somewhat uncrashing Compiz+unity?. im on the properity drivers, not noevaue. Noevaue does accually get me logged in but everything crashes almost instantly.

sorry for hijack.

Now that's the big issue I am facing right now as well. On my Dell XPS,which runs NVDIA Optimus with an Intel video card, 12.10 and Unity worked like a charm. The G75 not so much. I am, like you, now on Nouveau and it is slow and crashes a lot. Thanks to Xorg Edgers PPA I was able to install nvidia-current, but Xorg keeps crashing with segmentation faults all the time.

The only thing that does work for me currently is Classic Gnome w/o effects, which will be installed along Gnome Shell.

I am sure that they will fix these issues down the line, but for now the only option is to a) install Xorg Edgers PPA, b) install nvidia-current next, and c) be content with Gnome Classic w/o effects.

At least then you get your Fn keys (minus brightness for now). 🙂

Finally got my usb stick so i could do a proper install and not a net install. Anyway iv gotten things relativly stable and working.

What i did was install XuBuntu 12.10-desktop (says its 12.04 in the installation but its not). then ran update-manager from a terminal, exit out to console, sudo service lightdm stop. and then sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.43.run, go through the steps, it will disable novaue for you and then say it failed. reboot, exit to console, sudo service lightdm stop, and run NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.43 again.

You will probobly be missing the nvidia tool entrys in the menus and stuff but not realy that important. anyway after that i hit software center (it crashes directly if i installed regular ubuntu with unity) and install ubuntu desktop (unity) from there. it will tell you about some minor conflicts i just accepted the resolve and then reboot and select ubuntu on login.

Will be testings from here. sofar so good.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R4E, 3960x@stock, 16gb gskill 1600mhz cl9, cooler master cosmos 2, intel 520 60gb ssd, h100.

Aaron Plattner of NVIDIA just announced that the Xorg/NVIDIA bug that caused segfaults when launching Unity was fixed with nvidia-current 304.43 drivers.

I tested it in 12.10 alpha 3 and everything works like a charm now!

rhozac
Level 9
awsomesauce, i guess i was just lucky then 🙂 n1