cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Gene-Z/Gen 3 won't detect discrete graphics card!

Taxa
Level 7
Current system

Asus Maximum Genn-Z/Gen3
i5 2500k @4.2ghz
Zotac GTX 480
8GB G.Skill ddr3 1600mhz ram
64GB M4 SSD
700W Coolermaster Silent Pro PSU

Right I've only had this motherboard a little over a week with the latest bios 3305? And every now and then when I would restart the pc or change a setting in the bios and restart my pc would boot into windows (I can hear the login sound and see HDD light working) but the screen would be blank.

Now this has become permanent. I have tried changing all components resetting cmos removing cmos battery tried different PCi-E slots nothing. So I got a HDMI cable put it into the motherboard and it appears it is using the onboard GPU. When I go into the bios in GPU.Dimm detect it shows nothing at all. Has my motherboard became damaged and the PCi-E Slot's not working? Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15

puma99dk_
Level 9
hmm have u tried down-grading the bios? if not try that see if it helps, ino it's a long short bcs if it worked before upgrading than i think it could be a bios issue.

i noticed myself when i got a Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 with onboard gpu enabled i got BSOD of dead with my i5-2500K also trying to install the Intel driver so i just disabled it and i haven't had that problem ever since.

It has had the same issues no matter what bios it didn't change after a bios update.

xeromist
Since now you have a picture with the integrated, have you looked in the Windows device manager to see if the discrete shows up there? If you can't see it at all that might be an indication of some sort of hardware failure. If it indicates that it is working properly you might see if you can tweak with the display properties to clone or something.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

It showed nothing. But suddenly this morning my graphics card is now working again.... There is no consistancy to this.

I still have this problem any help?

I'm not sure if my problem is related to yours, but I have the Maximus V Gene board and in my case I have a problem with the graphics coming back from a monitor time out. I have my monitor set to go off after 20 minutes, but when I get back to the PC and move my mouse or touch my keyboard, more than not the screen won't come back on. Sometimes, the light on the bottom of the monitor even changes color (indicating that it is coming on) but no graphics get put through and the screen remains black. I never had this with my other 2 (Z68) motherboards and it's not the monitor's or graphic card's fault.

Zka17
Level 16
Taxa, what the Debug LEDs and Q-LED is showing when you're having the problem?

Not sure if it's relevant here, but your PSU is at the lower limit... The GTX480 is a power hungry beast and having the CPU OC'd... - did you OC the GTX480 too?

Zka17 wrote:
Taxa, what the Debug LEDs and Q-LED is showing when you're having the problem?

Not sure if it's relevant here, but your PSU is at the lower limit... The GTX480 is a power hungry beast and having the CPU OC'd... - did you OC the GTX480 too?

I don't think the PSU is relevant. I've used this system with a 600W power supply before and at full draw the system will using less than that. When starting the pc it'll be using less than 200W.

No Debug LED's or Q-LED's as the system is starting fine according to the motherboard just outputting on the Intel HD3000 graphics and not detecting my GPU at all.

Zka17
Level 16
I see... not sure how you measured the 200W when your pc is starting up, but for now let's say that you're right and the PSU is working fine...

If you tried the GTX480 in different slots and had the "initial graphic adapter" in BIOS set to PCIe (I assume, you did this)... then your GTX480 may be damaged... can you try it on an other system? In same time, just to be sure that the PCIe slots are OK, can you try an other discrete graphic card?