Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

This problem occurred with the default player, which is what prompted me to install and test with new player software.
    ASUS G74SX-XT1 (maxed 16GB RAM and added OCZ SSD 120GB boot drive)
    BIOS 203
    Hannspree ST289MUB 28" LCD

ROG Member Array

If it's BSODing, it's probably creating a minidump file. Have you tried debugging it to see what the cause is? Also, have you checked the event viewer to see if there are any issues in there showing up?

If I am correct, BD Drives have 2 lenses in them; One for BluRay and another for the DVD/CDs. It could be that the drive is having a hard time initializing the arm for the DVD/CD lens, which could lead to a bad drive. Have you tried switching to a different SATA port? Make sure your BIOS is up to date, along with various chipset drivers?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

if its been happening since you got it with the default player it looks like its a hardware related problem and not just software.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I haven't tried checking the dump file yet, so I'll do that tonight. I'll do the same with event viewer.

I'm hoping this isn't a physical problem with the drive, but I suppose it very well could be the case. I'll probably contact ASUS support on this issue and see what they say.
    BIOS 203

ROG Enthusiast Array

I just wanted to follow up on this thread for those interested.

On the first issue with the blu-ray drive, the issue was resolved after I did a clean installation with an ISO image of Win 7 Home Premium (and NOT the factory restore), and installed TotalMedia Theater 5 for BD-ROM playback.

For the second issue, I'm fairly certain that a firmware update will resolve the issues with intermittent, random, crashes of the SSD, but I will note that since the Windows reinstall, I've not experienced any issues. Yet.

Hope this information helps someone out there!
    BIOS 203

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2