cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seagate Momentu XT Drive specs Needed

Singinwolf725
Level 9
Greetings All,
I just got my New G75VW and it came with a 1TB, 5400 HD. I bought a new Seagate MomentusXT Hybrid Drive and installed.
Checked the computer performance in Win 7 system page expecting a better rating but to my dismay it was the same.
Has anyone installed one? If so what kind of ratings did you get.
Don't know if the drive is bad or what. Want to return it to NewEgg if bad.
Thanks,
8 REPLIES 8

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Singinwolf725 wrote:
Greetings All,
I just got my New G75VW and it came with a 1TB, 5400 HD. I bought a new Seagate MomentusXT Hybrid Drive and installed.
Checked the computer performance in Win 7 system page expecting a better rating but to my dismay it was the same.

I expect the Win 7 numbers for disk performance are very sensitive to write performance and a Hybrid Drive is not going to help disk write performance ( or at least very little ) ... so my guess is your Disk Data transfer rate number should be about the same.

What a hybrid drive "should do" is cache files used for programs and windows startup/bootup times. I imagine that your bootup time after a couple of restarts should be a fair amount better.

A real SSD will help on both read/write times ( a whole bunch ). My intel 520 120 gb ssd gives a 7.9 ...

Praz
Level 13
Win7 normally sees the drive as a regular hard drive and assigns the score of 5.9 based on that.

John and Praz,
Thanks for the feedback. It helps with the understanding. It's the first time I have dealt with on of these drives. I watched the NewEgg video on SSD Drives and assumed. We all know where that gets you.
Since I can boot from either drive I will try booting and running programs from both for a while and compare.
Will followup later.
Thanks Again,
Don

Singinwolf725 wrote:
Since I can boot from either drive I will try booting and running programs from both for a while and compare.
Will followup later.

Your welcome Don ... if you feel like it and if a retailer is close ... maybe try a real SSD also ... one you could return if necessary.

It is pretty likely though if/when you put in a real SSD that you will not want to take it back out.

PS If you have not done this already ... follow my tips in the "what to do first" topic.

John,
Already upgraded the RAM to 16GB. After I heal over from the laptop and mem. I will consider it.
Any suggestions with regards to brand,etc.?
Still getting comfortable with the differences from the Toshiba 15" with a Celeron processor and 2 GB RAM and 500GB HD.
What a major change!!:o

Don

electric0ant
Level 7
the hybrid XT caches files which are accessed regularly, it monitors and does this on its own accord.
so after a bit you should see windows startup and your programs you open regularly open and load a bit faster.

i guess the windows 7 performance test just reads and writes data to the hard drive, this is a pretty standard disc speed test so its not going to get cached by the XT.

I just bought 2 Seagate Momentus XT 750GB drives tonight and installed them into my G75. I striped them (Raid 0) and loaded windows 7 home premium on it. Initial windows copy was instant. No waiting. Expanding files was about 50% faster than normal. I had a complete install of Windows 7 and was installing Asus Drivers I pre downloaded onto my external within about 10 minutes. I had completed my reinstall in a total of 25 minutes which includes the reboots.

I spent the rest of the evening copying my backup files and games back over to the drive which was the same speed as a standard SATA so large copies are not any faster that SATA.

Reboots and bootups are faster and programs do start faster as well. Ultimately it was worth the expense to me.

I wanted to post one more update since running my new drives for a day.

I have transferred about 500GB of data from my backup of games, music, and movies over to my internal drives. I also installed Adobe Creative Suite CS4. Anyone familiar with Adobe Photoshop knows that it does not load very fast. In fact a raw install minus any plugins users might add to it an take 15 to 25 seconds if not more to load.

Load times...
Microsoft Outlook (5.8GB user profile) takes 1 second to load.
Microsoft Word and Excel takes less than a second to load.
Adobe Photoshop CS4 64 bit loading for the first time took 4.8 seconds. Closed it and opened again it took 1.8 seconds.

PDF files that generally take 10 seconds to load now load in less than 2 seconds.

I am definitely impressed with this drive. I cannot wait for larger capacity SSD's to drop because I will definitely take the next step when they do but for now this is a great compromise.