cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus HD 7970 Direct CUII Top artifacting on desktop

belgium_warrior
Level 7
Hi all,

I have an issue with my newly bought HD7970 Direct CUII Top which seems to have affected a great number of people. Most threads I read don't end with a solution so I'm posting this to see if I missed a known solution.
Problem is as follows, when turning on the computer and during windows startup, all is well. But as soon as Windows loads my desktop theme, I get greenish snow all over the display, colors are also off somewhat. Opening any screen will cause the display to go black for a second or two. Also sometimes the display goes black and flickers in which case I need to switch off the PC entirely.
Only once has windows started without these artifacts and I got to play Deus Ex totaly maxed for 1,5 hours, no anomalies whatsoever.
The card doesn not run hot, it has the ( requested to be build by ASUS!) EK waterblock on it, according to GPUtweak is never got above 39° during play.
It seems to happen only while in windows, so it's definitely NOT a hardware issue.
The display is a Samsung 24" 245b. Max resolution is 1920 x 1200 Max Vsync 74.038 horizontal sync 59.950
it's connected over a DVI cable, no idea if it's dual link, no idea if it needs to be for a 2D monitor of this res.
I have the latest drivers from the asus site, file name AMD8_921_5WHQL_Win732_64.zip
All is at stock speed.
PSU is a CoolerMaster 850w hybrid
mobo Asus Rampage IV Formula
i73820 watercooled stock speed
120x360 radiator custom watercool loop.

I mentioned the display and cable part because more people seem to have trouble with dvi, some suggested lowering vsync to 60, some recommended disabling the displayport digital audio outputs, some suggest increasing ram idle speeds, but never any follow-up on whether this helps in this case.

Anyone had similar problems or know the solution to this? It's no an ASUS problem, rather a 7970 driver/firmware/bios problem...
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I am not familiar with the problem but I would try tinkering with the refresh rate. During boot you are going to be at a different resolution and during gaming you are probably at a different resolution and/or refresh rate. That might explain why you only see it in Windows.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Sarg_Scorpio
Level 7
sounds faulty ... however... uninstall all driver to be safe....

Restart PC ,
Make sure only 1 screen plunged in via DVI
make sure DVI cable is is stable cause weird colors can be from lose cable.....
Turn on PC , install Drivers that came with the card
restart PC
See if the issue is happening here.......
If it is maybe something faulty with card try latest drivers to be sure
If is has stopped happening after this might of been just something not right.
Also try the other DVI plug (ones duel link and ones not)

I tried both dvi ports, no change. Cable is properly inserted.
I found yesterday that if after the desktop loads I turn off and on the display all is well.
I did tinker with the refresh rate and dvi mode some but that didn't change anyting.
Will try installing AMD's reference drivers as the ones on the asus site are said to be "ancient"

Nevertheless, very impressed with this game and EK's waterblock performance, after 2 hours of deus ex maxed 19x12 she never got above 43° C! All this at 1100gpu rate, 6Ghz Ram. I'm sure I can take her to 1200 easily but I guess I'll need afterburner, right?
Downloading Battlefield 3 that came with the mobo, will see how hot she'll get running that at ultra. And then there's Crysis 2 and Skyrim, she has her work cut out for her! ( yes my PC is a she! I sure don't stare at men for hours on end, women on the other end :cool: )