cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight Line Across Monitor

Wafflay
Level 7
Hi, I recently purchased a G74SX model and now, after some months, a straight line has appeared on the monitor, I closed windows to see if it was only on that window but to no avail it was still there, I even restarted the laptop, it's still there. I've come to the conclusion that is a monitor problem but I would like to know more about it, I do not believe I can send it in as I am currently in a different country and I don't really want to take it in as I do not exactly... Trust the people here enough with something worth over $1000, so I'm hoping you guys could help me out, is there a do it yourself way to fix it? Has anyone else received this problem? I do not know what caused it but if it helps, I was playing StarCraft II when it appeared, only a few minutes ago, everything else has been working swimmingly, also I don't know if it's relevant, but I just used ASUS live update for 12 or so updates and restarted at least three times a few hours beforehand, I don't think that made a difference at all but I like to be thorough.

Also, if I do have to take it in, is there an ASUS store in Shanghai? Or an approved repair shop? I would really prefer a place that has helped with an ASUS laptop in the past. I searched for an ASUS store on Google but I don't think there is one. Actually, I'm beginning to think ASUS doesn't actually have a store.

18 REPLIES 18

xeromist
This is either a problem with the display or the display connection. If you feel comfortable with it you could always open it up and reseat the display connection to see if that fixes it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

PILGRIM
Level 11
Sound idea from xeromist. But if you're squeamish about prying open your G74,
try troubleshooting it first as software-related. The fact that the problem occurred just
after updating drivers/apps via ASUS Live Update makes it so. I suggest you try to do
a Windows System Restore first to a point where system was working fine. (ASUS Live Update
is known to be a troublemaker, so it's better to update drivers manually.)

ASUS Shanghai Service Centers can be found here: (You may use Google translator for the addresses)
http://support.asus.com/ServiceCenter/List.aspx?SLanguage=en&r=1&c=9&a=33&p=3
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Hi again, I decided to take it to a store to check it out, my brother says it's probably my graphics card, which overheated or something. If it overheated, would this be a possible result?

Also he said that if it's overheated, it's probably broken or something and can not be replaced as it is integrated, would I have to get a new laptop altogether or is there some way I can get it switched out? If I need to get a new laptop, can I make a request to simply switch out the new hard drive with the one I currently have, I don't want to have to go through the process of re-downloading and installing everything, something that will surely take weeks.

xeromist
If the line always stays in the same place then I don't think it's the GPU. A fixed line is almost always display related. GPU problems manifest as artifacting, sudden cutting out, BSOD, etc.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

why does the g74sx has a lot of problems with the lcd's ? i had to take mine to best buy twice to get the screen replaced , is the quality of our screens bad compared to other laptops in this price range ?
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

gilbert wrote:
why does the g74sx has a lot of problems with the lcd's ? i had to take mine to best buy twice to get the screen replaced , is the quality of our screens bad compared to other laptops in this price range ?

How many is "a lot of problems"? I don't think we've had more than a handful of people here on this forum with issues and that would actually be pretty good considering the volume of shipped units. If you have inside information on failure rates at a major retailer I'd be interested to hear them.

well just myself got my first one replace for weird pinkish color around the edge of the screen then the second one had some little bright dots and that too had to be replaced , this one that i have now its been good so far but i don't know what type is it where can i look that up ?
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

gilbert wrote:
well just myself got my first one replace for weird pinkish color around the edge of the screen then the second one had some little bright dots and that too had to be replaced , this one that i have now its been good so far but i don't know what type is it where can i look that up ?

The panel type? It would be TN. Anything that is VA or IPS is advertised as such since they are more expensive to produce. If you want to know the original maker or model of the panel I'm not sure that is something you can find out without taking the machine apart. I'm guessing people who have disassembled machines have probably documented it somewhere on the 'net but there's no 100% guarantee that it's the same as ASUS sometimes changes sources.

PILGRIM
Level 11
Which monitor have you had before and now, gilbert?
My G74 has the MONITOR\LGD02C5 matte screen (I believe it's an LG Philips brand).
Aside from a single bright dot problem I initially had (it was resolved),
the screen is simply marvelous.
ASUS G74SX-3DE