cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will asus be producing windows 8 versions of their G75 drivers?

kiba
Level 10
this may be a little off topic, but will asus be producing windows 8 versions of their G75 drivers?
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.
21 REPLIES 21

xeromist
Yeah, a bit off 🙂 so I gave this its own thread. BTW, my personal take would be that yes they will simply because the G5's will still be a premiere product once 8 is on sale. Note however that a good chunk of the drivers are written by others. ASUS mostly validates and repackages hardware drivers (though there is original software). So until the hardware component maker releases a driver, ASUS won't either.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

kiba
Level 10
ah, thanks for the quick reply, and for giving it its own thread lol. i guess i will wait on buying windows 8 after it comes out, untill i hear more about drivers becoming available.

what about older machines, like the G74?
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

Actually, Windows 8 uses a modified version of the Windows 7 kernel, and both of those are similar. Many drivers from Windows Vista/Windows 7 run without modification on Windows 8. I would not hesitate to upgrade--if you want what Windows 8 will provide. Whether or not it will provide you with something valuable is for you to decide. The compatibility issues are minimal, since Microsoft learned its lesson about that with Windows Vista.

Still, I hope ASUS certifies the new nVidia drivers that are already developed for Windows 8.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Theodor
Level 7
I'm still waiting for working Win7 drivers.. (sound)

Theodor wrote:
I'm still waiting for working Win7 drivers.. (sound)

Almost win7 driver support win8~

Abby
Level 7
I've been previewing Windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. I use my desktop for everything and have no desire to have that ugly interface staring me in the face 😞 I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop after 4 1/2 years and have never even used Windows 7 yet, but would rather learn how to use that than this new "modern/metro" mess. They need to save that Windows 8 for touch screens ...(then again, I'm a creature of habit and feel comfortable in the familiar) Just my two cents worth.

Abby wrote:
I've been previewing Windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. I use my desktop for everything and have no desire to have that ugly interface staring me in the face 😞 I'm getting ready to purchase a new laptop after 4 1/2 years and have never even used Windows 7 yet, but would rather learn how to use that than this new "modern/metro" mess. They need to save that Windows 8 for touch screens ...(then again, I'm a creature of habit and feel comfortable in the familiar) Just my two cents worth.

Have you tried turning the Metro UI off? I haven't tried Windws 8 just yet; but I understand that you can just turn it off and it will be like Win7. but your sentiments are very very common regarding the Metro UI. Great for Tablet/Laptop combo's or touch screens but maybe no so much for us with a precision pointing device.
Razer Blade 14"
i7 4702 | 8gb ram | Nvidia GTX 765m | Samsung 512GB mSata
ASUS G75VX-DH72-CA 17.3"
i7-3630QM | 16G DDR3 | Nvidia 670mx | 500GB + 256GB SSD
ASUS Zenbook Prime UX32VD-DH71-CA 13.3"
i7-3517u | 10G Corsair Vengence DDR3 | Nvidia GT620M | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD

PCAnyWhere wrote:
Have you tried turning the Metro UI off? I haven't tried Windws 8 just yet; but I understand that you can just turn it off and it will be like Win7. but your sentiments are very very common regarding the Metro UI. Great for Tablet/Laptop combo's or touch screens but maybe no so much for us with a precision pointing device.

It is hard to turn off...and the start menu still doesn't exist. Google "make win 8 look like win 7" and you will get some helpful links - if you are tech savvy and willing to mess around in the control panel. Alternately, switch to LINUX! 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Abby
Level 7
I'm no overly puter savvy, so I'll probably just stick with Windows 7. I looked at Linux a little yesterday and it looks a bit complicated for me 😞