cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g75vw-bbk usb 3.0 speeds

Ibbanez
Level 7
Hey there guys, I just bought a g75vw-bbk and wiped the hard drive and installed a clean copy of win 7 ultimate 64-bit..... Now I also got a ocz vertex 4 256 GB ssd drive, a seagate 7200 1TB hard drive to replace the 5400 one and added 8 more gigs of 1600 DDR3.... Now onto my question and concern..... I bought a couple of usb 3.0 flash thumb drives to test out the new usb 3.0 speeds..... Well lets just say I am thoroughly disappointed in the results..... 12 MB/s write and about 41 MB/s read....... Thats horrible performance.... Thats less than the theoretical usb 2.0 speeds...... I installed the usb 3.0 drivers as well and everything in device manager is showing up and working.... Ive ran diagnostic programs and everything is saying that they are usb 3.0 ports, but what gives about the performance>?????? Has anyone noticed this or tested this as well?? If there is a beta driver to try I will gladly try it...
12 REPLIES 12

kiba
Level 10
are you sure that the thumb drive you are using is usb 3.0? also did you try an ext. hd as well? im not sure what my read/write speeds are, but using mine, im pretty sure read speads are at least over 100. this is what i use for work...

http://www.corsair.com/en/usb-drive/flash-voyager-gt/flash-voyager-gt-usb-3-32gb-usb-flashdrive-shor...

i do know that there is a problem with the updated usb 3.0 drivers that can potentially cause your usb ports to go kaput, especially if you get it through liveupdate, i didnt try this of course, and deleted liveupdate right away to save myself potential headaches/nightmares. Im currently using the usb drivers that it came with.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.

I didnt use the live update for any drivers. I did have to use the ones on the asus website though because I had to reformat everything right away,,, Now I have noticed that the rear port on the left side sometimes drops its connection., but the current driver is the only ones I have for it, version 1.0.3.214 i believe..... I dont have a usb 3.0 HD to test out. I know something is way off, cuz those are like usb 2.0 speeds, but im not sure what to try because I have the drivers installed correctly, but I am worried about you talking about current driver causing the ports to go kaput because I do have one on the fritz and the laptop is only 2 days old to me..... ANy hints or help would be awesome as far as what I can try to speed it up..... Thanks....

So maybe Your thumbdrives are that slow? Thumbdrives havent impressed me with speed so far...

Besides, USB 3 is supposed to have a max theoretical speed of 600MB/s or something like that. So what can You possibly put in Your ports that make You hit the limit? Fastest SSDs Ive seen in onlinestores claims to have a maxspeed of 500 MB/s

kiba
Level 10
I'm on the laptop now.

I sent a large video file to the thumb drive (Corsair Flash Voyager GT) what I got was ~40mbps write/~150mbps read. So theres definitely something going on with yours. Maybe find an external HD to send some data to and test the speed, I think that would give you the best idea of what the read/write speeds really are.

About the problem with the drivers, what was being posted here on the forums was that the update was making the usb ports go completely kaput, as in not working at all. If yours are, I think youre fine, although the fact that the one is on the fritz is kind of troubling. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Theodor
Level 7
I get 65 MB/sec read from external disk (regular 2,5", non-ssd). When I write to external I start up at 150 MB/sec, then it drops and is stable at about 65 MB/sec. Disappointing, but definitely a driver problem. Not supprising though, a lot of it going around with this laptop..

kiba
Level 10
yours is the best buy model correct? that model does come with usb 3.0 or am i wrong?

Yes mine is the Best Buy model..... Yeah Ive checked and double checked, all four port are usb 3.0...... i understand about not hitting the theoretical limits, If that were true than usb 2.0 would hit 60 MB/s all day, it just doesnt happen... Usb has tomuch overhead, plus the fact that its not a real bus, yada yada..... :P...... Anywho, I'll see if I can get a usb 3.0 drive to test out or something.... THanks for the help guys....

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Ibbanez wrote:
I bought a couple of usb 3.0 flash thumb drives to test out the new usb 3.0 speeds.....

The speeds you get using USB 3.0 depend mostly on "how fast" the device connected to your computer is. Most flash drives are pathetic performers.

Try using a real USB 3.0 connected to a fast external hard drive ( or even better an SSD ). I can get about 250 MB writing out via USB 3 to a slightly older SATA II SSD ( doing a system image ).

I also have G75VW BBK5 and all the usb connectors are USB 3 ... your is fine probably ... just get a decent fast external drive with a real USB 3 connection to it!

What kind of usb drives do you have. I'm transfering from my ADATA 3.0 key to the HDD at about 100MB/s and writing to the key at 70MB/s.