Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG pls help me G74SX

halimsideek3
Level 7
Dear All,

Pleaseee help me end my misery..... 😞

I just bought the Asus G74SX laptop about a week a go and somehow everything is screwed up. It maybe because all the updated from the Asus live update that seems buggy. My problem is as following:

1) Black screen after loading into windows. Sometimes happen also after exiting some games. This happen after i update the driver to the latest one. As i remember the original one that came with the laptop was ok. I am running on driver 301.42. I am downloading the driver 304.48 beta and going to try it and see if it got fix
2) I cant control the 3d view. If i press the enable or disable nothing happen on the 3d view but if i press on the 3D vision
preview pack then it will activate but then i cant disable it except to restart
3) My external ROG mouse that came with the laptop is jumping all over the screen when i am using it. I thought initially it is
because of the surface so i got a good rubber mouse pad which was said for gaming pad. It is quite annoying when it keeps
going all over the screen at random not all the time.
4) i cant run the refresh rate to be 120hz as it also will make the screen turn black

I beg u all to please advise me if there is anything as i am desperate. I got warranty and all but i am a very busy and i cant
really manage to go back to the shop and let them take a few week on it. I am on a point of crying now. 😞
10 REPLIES 10

dstrakele
Level 14
C'mon @halimsideek - Pull Yourself Together!!! :reaches through monitor, grabs shoulders and shakes @halimsideek vigorously...

1) Others have reported long black screens (as much as 3 minutes) when booting with recent NVIDIA driver versions. Try the latest 304.48 beta if you wish, but boot into Windows Safe Mode and do a clean install (choose "Custom Install" and check the "Clean Install" checkbox. If this fails to resolve your black screen issues and you can't run 120 Hz refresh rate (I am assuming you are selecting 120 Hz from Windows Screen Resolution dialog and NOT from NVIDIA Control Panel as a CUSTOM resolution - if you are, let us know immediately), backrev to the original NVIDIA version that shipped with your G74 (I think it's something like 268.37).

If you STILL can't run 120 Hz, perform an ASUS Factory Recovery - press F9 at the ASUS splash screen and choose to restore Windows to the 1st partition. Back up any important files on that partition because it will get completely overwritten. If this fails to allow 120 Hz, contact your retailer and see if you can exchange your laptop for a new unit.

2) If you do resolve you video issues, determine if you have a Sentelic touchpad by looking in Device Manager under "Mice and other pointing devices". If so, uninstall your current touchpad driver (if more recent than 9.1.7.7) from "Control Panel - Uninstall a program", REBOOT into Safe Mode, and install Sentelic version 9.1.7.7. REBOOT, and disable the touchpad by pressing Fn-F9, then attach your mouse.

If you have a Synaptics touchpad, install the latest Synaptics driver version and disable the touchpad with Fn-F9. It is important that the touchpad be disabled when you use a Mouse. The earlier version Sentelic drivers would allow the touchpad to re-enable when using a Mouse, causing problems.

The key thing you want to determine is if the laptop has issues you cannot easily resolve while in a stock configuration. If that is the case, you need to exchange your laptop for a new unit or return it for a refund. Don"t let anyone talk you into a warranty repair if you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period. Once you accept warranty repair, the laptop and its problems are YOUR problems, and you must wait without a laptop while yours is repaired. Of course, if you are already beyond the exchange/return period, warranty repair will be your most cost-effective choice.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Wow thanks dstrakele. A good shake is what I really need.

Firstly seems that i got the problem fixed on the new beta driver 304.48 on the driver. So far no more black screen and i can set
the monitor into 120Hz from windows or from Nvidia control panel.

I am downloading the synaptic mouse pad latest driver now. However I am not sure how does the touch pad driver have anything to do with the USB mouse. Anyway I am trying it now and will update you on what is the outcome.

BTW you rocks dstrakele :cool:

dstrakele
Level 14
It is possible the touchpad may be interfering with your mouse if it is NOT disabled. Some of the earlier Sentelic drivers had a bug that caused the touchpad to re-enable. I don't know if any Synaptics drivers had a similar problem. If Mouse problems persist, try it on another computer to determine if the mouse is the problem.

I'm glad to hear the new NVIDIA driver resolved your video issues.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hey man sorry that I've been late replying to you but seems I have resolve the problem with your advise. Thanks a lot man. I had a bad experience before with alienware m17 series with some outdated driver and bios problem. I ended up selling it after 3 month of use. I heard so many good review about the G74 that I've decided to buy it and to my suprise my nightmare return. Anyhow I cant thank you enough for your help.

I owe u a big one... (tears drippping 😛 )

cbolin21
Level 7
Another thing you should try to do is to Uninstall the Asus live update and the Nivida update. Those 2 programs seem to cause a lot of problems for a lot of users. They really are unnecessary wastes of space.
G74sx
32GB RAM
120GB Kingston SSD

i have the g74sx-bbk7 the only driver working is 290.36 and i tryed ur tip steel the lame black screen so what should i do does any one have my model and the updates working.......

goldmouth wrote:
i have the g74sx-bbk7 the only driver working is 290.36 and i tryed ur tip steel the lame black screen so what should i do does any one have my model and the updates working.......

Hi, goldmouth. Have you tried updating your nVidia driver to 304.48 beta?
I'm using that driver version for two weeks, until now. And all is going well, up until this moment.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

ya man i tryed i used safe mode but nothing that lame black screen again and again and its killing me btw is urs g74sx-bbk7 ...

I have the g74sx-bbk8 and i solve my blackscreen , try it maybe it works for you guys 2

I did this after my clean windows install and always install just the graphic driver, no 3D vision driver , no HD audio drivers , they are useless anyways don't need them.

1, install driver 268,37 just the graphic driver (clean install)

2, install your favorite driver on top of 268,37 ( NO clean install ) in my case driver 296,16 (so far i got best results with this driver than any other )

I always do this every time i update my driver and it works no more long black screen for me , I hope it works for you 2 good luck.
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300