cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53Sw fails to turn on after RAM Upgrade

mars83
Level 7
I bought Corsair Vegenace DDR3 1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB). I removed factory installed memory from hidden Slot1 and installed the rest. I connected everything (I used YouTube to disassembly + assembly - EASY). I connected everything with any sign of problem. I turned my G53 back and pooof. Doens't work 😕 Lights on/off - P4G - ROG - CAPS LOCK - NUM LOCK and POWER buttons are lighting. And that's basically it. I found out that removing baterry and pressing PWR button for 2 mins will clear BIOS settings but it didn't work. Also I tried to reflash BIOS but it doesn't work neither (CD just spins and nothing more is happening - burned AMIBOOT.ROM to DVD).
Any clues what to do? I have also SSD for it and now everything is lying around and I don't have any idea what to do 😕
13 REPLIES 13

iluvatar
Level 7
Well the problem obviously seems to be the ram. So take all the sticks out and then check stick by stick if they work only putting in 1 at the time.

iluvatar wrote:
Well the problem obviously seems to be the ram. So take all the sticks out and then check stick by stick if they work only putting in 1 at the time.

Well I tried that, I tried old stick. Now doesn't matter what I do it's still the same problem 😕

iluvatar
Level 7
So you took them all out and put the old one back in and it still boots with a black screen?
Does it seem like windows is loading in the background and the screen stays black? Like if you press the power button, does it turn off after a simple press or do you have to hold it for some time?
It might just be a loose connection somewhere. I would disassemble it and put it back together with great care, making sure you connect everything in the right way. For the moment I don't know what else you could do. I don't think a hardware defect could arise just from taking it apart. Have you had any problems before this?

iluvatar wrote:
So you took them all out and put the old one back in and it still boots with a black screen?
Does it seem like windows is loading in the background and the screen stays black? Like if you press the power button, does it turn off after a simple press or do you have to hold it for some time?
It might just be a loose connection somewhere. I would disassemble it and put it back together with great care, making sure you connect everything in the right way. For the moment I don't know what else you could do. I don't think a hardware defect could arise just from taking it apart. Have you had any problems before this?

I've done it 4 times now (disassemble with great care). And I still got that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhxEEtYEnAw&feature=youtube_gdata_player kind of thing

It never does POST so i'm f****d

iluvatar
Level 7
I'm sorry for you. I have the same laptop and never had a problem after taking it apart. I've no idea how something could break because of a disassembly unless you slipped and hit something with your screwdriver. You didn't have any problems before that? Have you tried to put the factory ram in a different slot?
Also you said you tried to flash the bios, did you actually get to do it? That can screw everything up if it fails.

iluvatar wrote:
I'm sorry for you. I have the same laptop and never had a problem after taking it apart. I've no idea how something could break because of a disassembly unless you slipped and hit something with your screwdriver. You didn't have any problems before that? Have you tried to put the factory ram in a different slot?
Also you said you tried to flash the bios, did you actually get to do it? That can screw everything up if it fails.

I was very careful. My screwdriver never slipped. And it never happened before. When it failed I tried to put it to slot under keyboard and that didn't work also 😕 I'm going with RMA tomorrow 🙂

iluvatar
Level 7
My rma took 5 weeks, hopefully yours will be quicker.
Good luck!

iluvatar wrote:
My rma took 5 weeks, hopefully yours will be quicker.
Good luck!

Well I hope it will take less than 4 weeks. But I read that Irish/English (UK) support isn't good so I'm praying LOL

Btw. Should I include 4 sticks + old stick, or just old stick?

iluvatar
Level 7
I would only include the stick that came with the laptop. If they see that you tried an upgrade, they might claim that it is your fault.