cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU_LED red at reboot, shutdown, standy

xonics
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Crosshair V, FX-8150 and 16GB of Corsair Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1600MHz) to replace my Crosshair, Phenom X4 9850.

PC will POST and load the OS OK, however I have an intermittent issue when I reboot, shutdown or the PC enters standby, the board stays lit and the fans continue to spin although the screen is blank (as if it were shutdown).

If I press and hold the case power button the PC powers down, if I try to power back up the board lights up and the fans spin, hard drives and optical drives power up too - but the PC does not boot and the CPU_LED light is red. The only way to clear this is to turn the power supply off and let the board power down, once all the lights are off power it back up and the PC will boot.

PC is fine whilst booted and in the OS, haven't experienced any other issues. I installed MS KB2645594 today and at the reboot the PC didn't come back up and took that opportunity to check the CPU_LED light, sure enough it was red.

I have flashed to the most recent BIOS but that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

The issue is intermittent because I can reboot, shutdown or enter standby and it be fine; but will generally occur when I'm not testing (the typical intermittent fault).

If anyone has any thoughts would be good to hear.

PC specs:

ASUS Crosshair Formula V with Thunderbolt (BIOS: 1402)
AMD FX-8150 (stock clock 3.6GHz)
16 GB Corsair Ballistix Tactical Tracer (stock although I believe the board sets this at DDR1333)
ASUS ENGTS 450 DIRECTCU/DI/1GD5
Corsair HX620
OCZ Agility 3 (120GB)
Western Digital Raptor X (300GB)
Western Digital Raptor (150GB)
Windows 7 Professional (x64)
Cooler Master Cosmos S
ASUS Crosshair Forumla V with Thunderbolt
AMD FX-8150
16GB Corsair Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Corsair HX620
OCZ Agility 3 (120GB)
Asus PG221 22" Widescreen LCD
2 REPLIES 2

SUKARA
Level 10
Please try to once CLRTC(clean cmos setting) and testing again!

First, turn off all power,and check the LED is off on the motherboard,then remove the battery on the motherboard and wait one min
Finally,to take back the battery and turn on the power to re-start PC ,and re-into bios manual to do once load setup default setting(hot key F5),and try again!
Note:if you have any bios setting before,you must be re-setting again!

Thanks for the suggestion, should it happen again I'll be sure to give it a go.

I think I've isolated the issue though - only seems to happen if I enable DDR power down mode. Not sure why it would matter, perhaps you could shed some light on that particular function and why it might be a problem. But for now I'll leave it disabled and continue to monitor the issue.

Thanks

xonics
Cooler Master Cosmos S
ASUS Crosshair Forumla V with Thunderbolt
AMD FX-8150
16GB Corsair Ballistix Tactical Tracer
Corsair HX620
OCZ Agility 3 (120GB)