cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing second HDD

chadwick17
Level 7
Hello all,

I've been lurking through these forums for a while and have found a lot of valuable information. So I'd like to say thanks for that first.

I have a G73JH (Best Buy) and I just recently bought a Momentus XT to use as a second hard drive for my laptop. Actually, I want to use it as the primary drive to boot the OS off of. I've installed it into the 2nd bay but the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. When I look at my hardware under device manager it shows 2 hard disk drives but if I go to 'Computer' in Windows Explorer it doesn't show up. Just the current drive that I've been using and the DVD drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

chadwick17
Level 7
Nevermind...got it figured out. I forgot I had to initialize the drive. Works now!

Keith_Smith
Level 8
I would still make the momentus the main hdd if you plan on doing any kind of gaming. The 640gb it comes with is beyond noisy and slow.
ASUS G73JH

Yeah, I'm running the Momentus XT as the main HDD. Working beautiful as of the moment...nice to have both hard drive bays being used as well. Good thing they finally started selling those hard drive caddies through the ASUS store

grifmoney
Level 7
I'm having an identical problem. How do you initialize a drive?

grifmoney wrote:
I'm having an identical problem. How do you initialize a drive?

Select it in Windows DIsk Management, right-click and select "Initialize disk."