cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73S Problems

JK1548
Level 7
I'm wondering what to do about this laptop, first let me give you the history on it.

I purchased the Asus G73S from Best Buy I BELIEVE less then a year ago. Within a month of purchase, the laptop was BSODing and locking up on me, so i attempted to exchange my particular laptop for another on the shelf at Best Buy. They wouldn't do it, instead they gave it to the Geek Squad to work on. Somehow GS got the machine stable for maybe 5 or 6 months, and then it started having problems with BSOD's and lockups again.

I took the computer to PC Laptops, a reputable local company that uses Asus parts in their Desktop Builds. They ran a diagnostic and have determined that the Discrete Graphics Card in the G73 is fried. (Bad Hardware). They attempted to contact Asus for a replacement card and was told these no longer exist.

PC Laptops called me yesterday, with a 2nd G73S that another customer dropped off for repair, also with a fried video card. They said that one will be a paperweight now as well.

Now they want me to pickup the computer and pay the $50 fee for the diagnostics they ran....and I get...a paperweight? I'm just not sure what to do in this situation, I have owned many computers in my lifetime and this Asus laptop has been the worst experience by far. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

dstrakele
Level 14
Give @evga a PM on this forum. I've seen several recent threads where he discussed purchasing a new VGA for G73 systems. He did so on his own G73.

In my opinion, PC Laptops ran the diagnostics and fulfilled their end. They deserved to be paid for their efforts. They are not running a charity...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks for the advice, I'm guessing by how many people have problems with this laptop i'm better off just chucking it in the trash rather then spending more money on it. I'll pay the local guys for the diagnostic, but i guess thats a $2K lesson learned never to buy from Asus again for laptops. A machine less then a year old shouldn't be useless.

On shear number of bad vid cards alone, I suspect poor engineering in this particular model, and I suspect even a new vid card will have a limited service life. I'm in the military and travel alot so I place reliability very high on my "must haves" list, with performance slightly under reliability as #2.

dstrakele
Level 14
In that case, @evga might even be a potential buyer of your G73. You could at least recover some of the cost.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT