cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone having an issue with their keyboard?

airtroop01
Level 7
I just purchased two G75VW's from Best Buy after waiting a week for it to arrive in the store.
I'm really excited about this laptop as the specs are awesome on this thing.
However, I'm having an issue with both machines that is leaving me wondering if I need to take the laptops back:

The keyboard is not recognizing all of the button/key pushes.
This is with both laptops!
The keys all work if I push harder (typing this thread is taking me longer than it should as many keys like
the "m" and "n" do not register on the first button tap). Others are fine and the register right away.

I know this is a gaming laptop so I'm wondering if the keys will loosen up with time and be more responsive
or is this a known issue? or did I just get two machines in a bad batch on the assembly line?
7 REPLIES 7

dstrakele
Level 14
Your description of problems with the "m" and "n" keys does sound more like a hardware issue than resulting from DPC Latency from McAfee Antivirus or Atheros WLAN driver.

Some have reported the keys loosen up with time. Others report they have problems only when hitting the keys on the edge. But you should also read this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9245-Cause-of-unresponsive-sluggish-keys-on-G74

Ultimately, YOU need to decide whether or not to return or exchange the laptops...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks for the response.
I hope it loosens up over time but, it could be a design issue like your link alludes to.
Like the keys are not making appropriate contact with the sensor below.

Definitely it misses responding more if I hit the key on the top 1/3rd to 1/2 of the keys rather than the center.
Sometimes I need to make sure the key firmly goes all the way down for it to register.

I don't have the anti-virus installed right now and so I don't think that's it.
I'll keep trying with the laptop for a bit before making a decision on returning it.
I would just as soon keep the laptop and fix the issue with it...
I can't imagine all of you are experiencing the same thing
or else you I'm sure people would be pretty frustrated.

Update on my situation:
One of my two G75VW system's keyboard loosened up quite a bit with some typing and is actually doing well.
The other of the two got a bit better but the problem keys "m,n" particularly and some others were just as bad.
So, I'm going to take it back to best buy and see if they can either order a replacement keyboard or pull it apart and see
what's going on. I'd take it apart myself.. but, its a brand new machine and probably best to not risk the warranty yet.

TBOLLC
Level 7
Same issue but with the "b" and the "v" is worse! I have to pound these two keys to get them to register. I think it MUST be a hardware issue - probably plastic breakdown in between the contacts. 8 month old G75VW - I need RMA!!

TBOLLC wrote:
Same issue but with the "b" and the "v" is worse! I have to pound these two keys to get them to register. I think it MUST be a hardware issue - probably plastic breakdown in between the contacts. 8 month old G75VW - I need RMA!!

ASUS was really great about fixing my keyboard on my old M51SN when a key flew off it towards the end of my warranty. Normally I would not RMA because they might just break something else..but in this case, go for it and post on here during process/when you get it back so you can make sure that ASUS knows how your experience was
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Pitcher1
Level 9
if you are IW, i suggest you send back to change new KB.

Apexing
Level 9
keep us updated on what they say please 🙂