cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory upgrade... Keyboard Removal

kiba
Level 10
Planning on upgrading the top memory on my g75vw, and i need to remove the keyboard to get to the top two slots. Is there anything I should know before doing this? No rush, so I'll wait on a response.
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
As I understand it, Technically, it voids the ASUS Warranty. In http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14583-Upgrading-the-G75VW&country=&status=, Richard states:

"However for the sake of transparency to our customers, please be aware of upgrade limitations. While the G75VW has four SO-DIMM slots in total; two of which are situated underneath the keyboard and accessing them requires chassis dismantling that voids your warranty so please plan your needs carefully before you buy.

These two above will be populated first, at the factory, meaning if you buy an G75VW with 8GB DDR3 but later want 12GB or 16GB, dropping in one or two extra 4GB SO-DIMMs is a perfectly warranty-safe upgrade as this requires simply opening the base as described above. However, if you require upgrading all four SO-DIMM slots, this can only be done by unscrewing all visible screws on the base, removing the battery and optical drive, then gently separating the the motherboard tray from the keyboard. Evidently this process is not designed to be user upgradable, but if you feel you are technically adept and accept that you will not be able to return the notebook at a later date, it can be done. "
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

kiba
Level 10
im pretty sure i can get it off without tearing the warranty stickers, but shh.. dont tell asus. i did this before on my g74 to reduce the speaker vibrations. the g75's keyboard looks similar, if not identical to it. then again, i havent done it yet so i dunno.

Jsl1ce wrote:
im pretty sure i can get it off without tearing the warranty stickers, but shh.. dont tell asus. i did this before on my g74 to reduce the speaker vibrations. the g75's keyboard looks similar, if not identical to it. then again, i havent done it yet so i dunno.

Please get pics along the way so that you can post a guide for the next set of people to do this!

From the way Marshall wrote it up it sounds like you need to take out the motherboard from the bottom??? A guide with a set of pics would be beneficial!

john_from_ohio wrote:
Please get pics along the way so that you can post a guide for the next set of people to do this!

From the way Marshall wrote it up it sounds like you need to take out the motherboard from the bottom??? A guide with a set of pics would be beneficial!

id be happy to, but waiting on somebody who's done it to let me know if theres anything i need to watch out for before i start. it should be nothing new though, ive done it on the g74 which looks very similar, and have repasted my g73. although its always best to research it first, theres nothing on the g75 that i could find so far.

Retired
Not applicable
Hai mate,

Some friends from another italian portal (unfortunately, not ours 😄 ) have already provided a full guide on how to safe dismantle (scratch free) the Asus G75Vw. Yes, I know, you do not speak italian but, at least, you can look at the pics and realize what to do by yourself 😉

http://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showpost.php?p=37661984&postcount=5

ahhh, crazy italians...