Hi,
So I just built my new system as follows:

Motherboard: Asus rampage IV extreme
CPU: intel 3930k 3.2 Ghz
GPU:Evga gtx 680 4gb ftw
Mem: corsair 16gb 1866 DDR (4 x 4Gb)
PSU: corsair atx1200
Monitor: Samsung 27' led 550

Once I power on the system I'm not able to get into the bios. Screen stays black(connected via dvi adapter for VGA). The dram led is a solid red and I'm getting debug code 05 (looks more like 85 with the top circle off). I called Asus support and basically told me that the memory is not on their supported list(although when I type the asus rampage iv extreme in corsairs memory finder it tells me my memory is compatible). Also I have seen people using it on that mobo with no issues. I was able to google someone having a similar issue that people suggested flashing to a newer bios. Relatively new to this so any advice would be much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey there! 🙂 Firstly make sure all your connections are solid. Then, yes, you could flash to the latest BIOS just in case....or switch to the other BIOS on your board to try that. http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Also make sure your RAM is seated properly in the correct slots...sometimes it's not in, even when the clips are closed. Other things to try are one stick at a time and if all this doesn't help make sure the CPU is seated properly and that there are no bent pins in the socket.

8_Pack
Level 12
Have you tried booting the system with only one stick of RAM inserted first.

Clear the Bios, one stick of RAM either side of the CPU and try boot the system with only VGA, power, mouse and keyboard connected.

If it boots enable XMP, Set Rampage Tweak mode 1, clock gen filter to 20uf, the correct DRAM voltage and VCCSA/VTT to 1.15. Save and reboot. Then try four sticks.

You have to bear in mind one stick may be faulty so it might be a good idea to Mem test each stick in turn.

If this does not work try the same on the secondary bios.

Post back how this goes.

I unplugged everything from the mobo just now except the graphics card , the 2 power inputs, the vga to graphics card,and tried each stick of ram individually (in the red a1 slot) but keep getting that same o5 code on the debug (got o6 once after o5) then about 30 seconds it shuts off. Tried both bios 1 and 2. Pretty dumb question but shouldn't the ram lock into place when putting the sticks in? The vengeance ram fits into the slots but the white latch can't close all the way ( like it can when there isn't a stick in there. Still not sure what's going wrong .

Zka17
Level 16
Well, if you want vengeance on the RIVE... you may end up with trouble... RIVE doesn't like it...

An other idea: try to reseat the CPU and check the pins in the socket... the may be bent...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The Latch has to close so if it doesn't that means the stick is not in properly! Make sure the notch in the RAM lines up properly....they are reversed on either side of the CPU.

Thank you so much for everybody that contributed. I feel like an idiot...it was that I wasn't applying enough force to the memory module to lock it in completely. I am able to get the bios on now. Thanks again.