Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Red face G74sx cooling system

Hi all fellas!

soon i will have to buy asomething to cool up a bit mt g74 and i found this:
    http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/a...ries/sf19usb2/

someone can recomand this to me or you have some better solution?

tnx as always nerds!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Not much in the way of info on the linked cooling pad but the G74SX air intake is over/above the keyboard (the panel with holes) so I get the impression that a cooler that blows air up from under the laptop probably won't work so well.
    G74Sx - BIOS 203

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Set yourself up with one of these: http://www.amerikooler.com/ and you'll have lowest gaming temperatures of all your friends...
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array adamsyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Set yourself up with one of these: http://www.amerikooler.com/ and you'll have lowest gaming temperatures of all your friends...
    OMG LOOOOOL DUDE !

ROFL you made my day

ROG Member Array TorturedBIscuit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrBeltway View Post
    Not much in the way of info on the linked cooling pad but the G74SX air intake is over/above the keyboard (the panel with holes) so I get the impression that a cooler that blows air up from under the laptop probably won't work so well.
    This. In fact, it won't work at all because these laptops aren't designed to be cooler compatible.
    Currently owning: G74SX-AH71

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Not sure where the OP is located, but all the zellers in Canada are closing down and selling off everything...INCLUDING the walk in freezers from the attached restuarants Only problem is those models don't have windows :P

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Now why would you need windows? They just distract you from the game on the display...
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array AdelaisAer's Avatar

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TorturedBIscuit View Post
    This. In fact, it won't work at all because these laptops aren't designed to be cooler compatible.
    Not completely true. Yes, the air-intake vents are under the screen, instead of the bottom of the laptop, so you'd think that putting your laptop on a cooling pad would do nothing.

However, need I remind you that at the bottom of the laptop is where the majority of the meat is - your CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs, SDDs, etc. If you touch it while it's in use, it does feel fairly hot. Also, from experience I use a triple-fan gaming cooling pad, and it cools my G74SX down by a bit. Not as much as I'd hope, but not too little, either. It does the job well enough for me to be able to play GTA4 without over-heating, and I've played that game for eight hours at once.

The only issue is that you need to use canned air on the in-take vent underneath the screen and on the giant vent at the back TWICE A WEEK, AT LEAST. This ensure that dust won't build up - otherwise, your laptop will overheat to the point where even playing it out in the snow won't help.

Hopefully OP will read this.
    Asus G74SX-DH72 [203]

• 16GB RAM
    • nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB VRAM
    • Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Intel 520 SSD - 180GB
    • 700GB 7200rpm HDD (x2 paritions, 350GB each)

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post
    Not completely true. Yes, the air-intake vents are under the screen, instead of the bottom of the laptop, so you'd think that putting your laptop on a cooling pad would do nothing.

However, need I remind you that at the bottom of the laptop is where the majority of the meat is - your CPU, GPU, RAM, HDDs, SDDs, etc. If you touch it while it's in use, it does feel fairly hot. Also, from experience I use a triple-fan gaming cooling pad, and it cools my G74SX down by a bit. Not as much as I'd hope, but not too little, either. It does the job well enough for me to be able to play GTA4 without over-heating, and I've played that game for eight hours at once.

The only issue is that you need to use canned air on the in-take vent underneath the screen and on the giant vent at the back TWICE A WEEK, AT LEAST. This ensure that dust won't build up - otherwise, your laptop will overheat to the point where even playing it out in the snow won't help.

Hopefully OP will read this.
    I was wondering how to clean the vents on the g74. I mean blowing air from the outside into the laptop just doesn't seem right. I blow from the top vents how effective is that? With the G2S I was able to access the fan assembly to remove it then blow air from the inside and out through the exhaust. Not sure how to access the the fans on the g74 though...aside from taking the whole bottom panel off :S

ROG Enthusiast Array

I too don't like the idea of blowing from the outside in... will just get the dust stuck into parts that it wouldn't normally get into and probably will never come out again

and just shooting the compressed air through the intake doesn't seem like it would get ALL the dust out either... is there a way to get to the heatsinks completely?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast