cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Gene V Q-code 55

lafeuk
Level 7
Hello

So, I just bought myself a new computer, putting it together myself.
Everything went well while building it (First time doing it myself, third time if I count with the times ive helped my friends)
I got everything put together and then powered it up, it started and I plugged my screen in, but it didnt show anything on-screen. Since it is the first time working with Maximus Gene V I had no idea of q-codes and error LEDs. But I found out what code 55 meant; "No memory installed".

I have tried many different "solutions", for example clearing CMOS, re-attaching the RAM sticks and unscrewing the boltthrough Corsair H80 cooler so that it isnt warping the board.
What am I supposed to do? I don't have enough hardware knowledge to sort things out myself, and apparently other people have the same problem with this mobo.

The memory im using is Corsair Vengeance 4*4 (16gb) and the CPU i5-3570k/3.40GHz 6MB

Filip
11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
Did you make sure the modules are seated all the way in? Sometimes people don't get them fully seated because there are no locks on the bottom side (due to close proximity to PCI-E). There should be a soft click when you push them in and they bottom out in the slot. Failing that, have you tried one stick at a time to start with?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Xero, I tried to put them in one at a time and in pairs in all slots and everything is fully pushed in as far as I can see.
Some1 mentioned something about the back of the mobo touching the case could cause something?

Sry if its hard to understand me, im not english 😕

xeromist
Yes, you should use the stand-offs underneath the motherboard so that it does not touch the case. A short will cause problems but usually you get no post at all if you have a short. You might have bent CPU pins or a bad board.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

R_O_G1
Level 7
haha maybe u have same problem with me... see ur socket pins maybe bent

I do have 5 stand-offs underneath the mobo, and I just checked if it touched, but as far as I can see it shouldn't.
And I have checked the RAm sockets and CPU for bent pins, but there are none.

Thx for your quick responses btw

xeromist
If you haven't already I would try one stick and pressing the GO button next to the power connector. If not even a single memory stick will work then you likely either have a bad batch of memory, bad CPU, or a bad board. If still no joy at that point then I would see if you can try testing other hardware from a friend or local shop. But if you can't do that then you will probably need to RMA something.

I tried the GO button thing, but it didnt boot anyways. But later i tried to run it without RAM sticks, and then it gave me one long beep and two short, then I looked it up in the manual and that means there is no RAM memory detected. So is there a possibility that all four(!) RAm sticks are corrupted or something?

8_Pack
Level 12
Do a full system clear first. Take your system apart and reset the cmos with the CPU out of the socket and the battery removed. At the same time check for bent pins in the socket. Rebuild making sure you dont overtighten the CPU cooler. Make all conections from the PSU including atleast the four pin one above the socket and try again using only one stick of ram furthest socket from CPU. Attach no hard drives etc and use only onboard graphics. Report back how this goes.

8 Pack wrote:
Do a full system clear first. Take your system apart and reset the cmos with the CPU out of the socket and the battery removed. At the same time check for bent pins in the socket. Rebuild making sure you dont overtighten the CPU cooler. Make all conections from the PSU including atleast the four pin one above the socket and try again using only one stick of ram furthest socket from CPU. Attach no hard drives etc and use only onboard graphics. Report back how this goes.

So, I did everything as said above, I even changed the CPU cooler to the one that comes with the CPU to be sure that I didnt overtighten the bolt-through corsari cooler.
But still, q-code 55.
And it beeps as usual if I start it without RAM at all.

So whats the next step? RMA the mobo or the RAM sticks?