1TB Western Digital SATA III HD
800 Watt Corsair PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

OC: 4.2GHz
Bus- 224
Multiplier- 19
CPU Voltage -1.31250V
Ram is running at like 1440mhz or something like that

I have only noticed the problem when I'm overclocking, though I've tried several different settings. I actually scaled down to 4.2GHz to try to get rid of the problem. Basically I'll be using my computer and the HDD activity light goes solid. I can move the mouse around but when I click or open anything nothing happens. If I'm watching a video it freezes. This happens for about 2 minutes maybe once every 20-30 minutes. Once it has passed the HDD activity light turns off and everything I clicked on or shortcuts I pressed during the lock up are immediately spammed/executed. If it happens while I'm playing Battlefield 3, the game continues but next time I spawn my guns are invisible and I can't shoot and missing sound effects that come from my movement; when the lockup is over I get the dying sound effect and my guns reappear and everything is back to normal. I'm new to overclocking so I'm wondering if maybe one of my OC values are not proportional or something. I run Ycruncher to make sure the overclock is stable and it didn't throw any errors or heat up too much. I'm going to try when I get off work to run at stock settings just to make sure the problem doesn't happen at when not overclocking. I also have a slight hunch it might be my HD, just don't have another to test yet. Thank you guys for your help

Things I've tried so far:
Re-installed OS
Updated AHCI drivers
3 REPLIES 3

oldbrave
Level 9
Welcome to the forum !
You might try and raise your cpu voltage a bit, maybe to 1.35v or 1.36 and see if that helps.
You list your water cooling as "OEM", is that the AMD system or what ?
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

oldbrave wrote:
Welcome to the forum !
You might try and raise your cpu voltage a bit, maybe to 1.35v or 1.36 and see if that helps.
You list your water cooling as "OEM", is that the AMD system or what ?

Thanks for the welcome! You are correct about the cooler, it is the one available from AMD with the FX-8150. With the voltages I'm running now I think I'm pushing the temperature limits already. I think I've either got a less than awesome chip or my cooler is not working well. I use ycruncher for my stress test and AI Suite II says my CPU temp gets up to 61C on a good day and 63C on bad day. From what I hear the absolute limit is 70C but a lot of people seem to try to ride at 61C. Am I approaching this the right way; is it okay for the temp to be higher during a stress test since it's a very unnatural process? I think my idle temp is pretty high as well.... AI Suite II shows my CPU temp to be 34C-37C at idle. Unless maybe AI Suite II isn't showing core temp but socket temp.

I'm not sure why because I didn't change anything, but it didn't give me any trouble yesterday. I tried some different OC settings that didn't work and ultimately reverted back to my previous OC profile. After that I didn't have any issues even though I was running the exact same settings. I'll run her hard again tonight just to be sure since the problem is intermittent. Thanks for your insight by the way!

oldbrave
Level 9
What are you using to read your temps and the temps you're listing are they cpu temps or are they core temps ?
The core tamps are the ones you want to be paying attention too, the cpu temps are usually being read from a sensor in the socket under the cpu and the core temps are being read from within the cpu itself.
Electronic Smoke Signals From my TechnoTeepee
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5162Mhz [21x245] 1.546v 🙂
Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=52c
32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.5 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
SanDisk Extreme 120Gb SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU