Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Xonar Phoebus Mini Review - User's Perspective

Not entirely sure how to do this as i've never "professionally" done any kind of review before but here it goes, please bare with me on it lol.

Installing and driver setup: Was a total snap, quick and easy...couldn't have been any easier to get it going
    Environment Setup: Was a little trickier as I has to manually go through Windows Sound Properties to set my speakers manually to 5.1. *NOTE: You need to also go into effects sub tab and check the boxes for "Flex Bass" and "Xear Surround Max" to enable use of your subwoofer for 2.1 - 7.1 Speaker setups

How to configure your speakers to enable Subwoofer use with 2.1 - 7.1 Speaker Configurations:
    1. Click on Control Panel
    2. Click Hardware & Sound
    3. Click Manage Audio Devices
    4. Single Click Speakers then click "Properties" down the bottom right corner
    5. Click "Effects" Tab
    6. Check the boxes next to "Flex Bass" and "Xear Surround Max"
    7. Click Apply and OK your way out, fire up your preferred Media Player to test the "Bass" from your music...or even movies.
    8. ENJOY!!!

Media Playback: INCREDIBLE!!!! this is about all I can say

Final Thoughts: I am using a 10 year old set of 5.1 Creative Speakers(can't remember what model number) and I would have to say, without a doubt that my music has never sounded this damn good....EVER. Everything is so clear, I don't think my speakers have had to work this hard either....but the sound is so clean and so crisp, it's incredible. This sound card totally, completely and utterly OWNS my 10 year old Creative Live! 5.1 Sound card that I had in my old rig. I may not have completely put the Phoebus through it's complete paces, considering I have yet to hook up the control box and connect a headset...but that will change soon when I purchase myself a RoG Vulcan Headset and when I do I will complete my 1st ever review.

Thank you to the RoG Team for coming up with this AMAZING sound card, i'm one very happy customer

Myk

ROG Enthusiast Array

The quality of sound is incredible compared to the creative xfi fatality fps.
    I tried the xfi hd audiophile in usb but it's not the best compared to this card.

I use a tube amp (little dot mkiv se) and my sennheiser hd650 headphone
    it's an other universe of sound !!

but there is a lot of problem with games.

I am not fully satisfied for the moment.... still waiting to be a happy customer

New ROGer Array

While waiting the fix to come out, I am now playing Diablo3 and crysis 2. I also got kicked out by the server after few sessions only because my K/D ratio is simply too high.

I have to say.....the sound is amazing, and you don't even need any fake sound effect as my old X-fi CMSS3D.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Thanks for taking the time to write this up
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

In your review, you should put that you had to set it up that way for digital. Analog doesn't need flexbass or Xear on to work properly.
    good review though. the SQ is good but until they fix the punkbuster issues, they are not going to have to many happy campers like you I'm afraid lol

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Thanks Myk.. I was wondering about these .. great to 'hear'...And there is a little room for improvement? ..Bonus.. Awesome.c.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this up
    No worries

Quote Originally Posted by thegovernment View Post
    In your review, you should put that you had to set it up that way for digital. Analog doesn't need flexbass or Xear on to work properly.
    good review though. the SQ is good but until they fix the punkbuster issues, they are not going to have to many happy campers like you I'm afraid lol
    Uhhh actually, I didn't set it up as digital mate, I don't have a digital speaker setup lol...old skool analogue speakers

Quote Originally Posted by chrsplmr View Post
    Thanks Myk.. I was wondering about these .. great to 'hear'...And there is a little room for improvement? ..Bonus.. Awesome.c.
    Well, since i've only used one sound card before, I can't say Bro lol i'm a bit biased at the moment cos this baby blew my old one out the park lmao

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I don't have flex bass or Xear on and my sub works fine, in fact it kinda sounds crappy with either of those 2 options on. Not really sure why you had to turn it on to get your bass to work. Just though that maybe you set it up in digital and thats what was needed.
    I'm running Edifier S500 5.1 surround.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by thegovernment View Post
    I don't have flex bass or Xear on and my sub works fine, in fact it kinda sounds crappy with either of those 2 options on. Not really sure why you had to turn it on to get your bass to work. Just though that maybe you set it up in digital and thats what was needed.
    I'm running Edifier S500 5.1 surround.
    No clue mate, when I bought my speakers 10 years ago with my Live! 5.1 card, Digital Speakers were just being released here in Aus and I didnt' have the cash at the time for the Digi version or the Amp to go with the card, so I stuck with the Analogue ones lol...but, I did also have to set up "Bass Redirection" in the Creative software also, to get any kind of bass from the speakers I have. When I put my Phoebus in and got everything going, I didnt even use the 2 settings for bass, until I played some music and I knew it was missing...hence my little guide as attached in the review, just in case someone else wasn't getting any kind of bass from their own setup.

ROG Member Array

The reason you would require Flexbass most likely is due to the age of your sound system. Most modern analog speakers have built in crossovers cause lots of people run them in 2 channel. As well as the lack of understanding of crossover setup aswell. For example I own two sets of Logitech Z-5500's these have a built in 120hz crossover so frequency's are passed to the sub by the built in amplifier. This is through analog. Although I love Flexbass on the Phoebus it didn't have a very big effect on my Xonar D2X. But it certainly helps me aid that built in crossover now!

So it simply depends on the end users equipment

Oh and also. Great Review!
    Last edited by Chickenz; 06-28-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast