Power SupplyAntec 750 Gaming
    Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2016
    Mouse Zalman GM-4/Corsair M 65
    Mouse Pad Alienware
    Headset/Speakers Klipsch 4.1
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterAsus

Quote Originally Posted by n3tninja View Post
    Its not that hard for an electrical engineering student at least, if you are really good with soldering, its a REALLLLLLLY CHEAP fix and you can just get a very durable part from the internet and solder it one there, without having to have the fear getting another crappy pin.
    I tried the unsoldering trick because it would only have cost me $4.00 to fix. It is a nightmare to change just the socket on the motherboard. What started out as $4.00 ended up being $274.00.

Quote Originally Posted by n3tninja View Post
    Its not that hard for an electrical engineering student at least, if you are really good with soldering, its a REALLLLLLLY CHEAP fix and you can just get a very durable part from the internet and solder it one there, without having to have the fear getting another crappy pin.
    Kudos to you...but not everyone (At least not me! ) is a EE student. Still, that's good advice for anyone who knows how to solder and has some time on their hands. I don't know how to solder...then again, my pin hasn't broken, either.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

New ROGer Array

pin keeping laptop hostage

Wowwww 22 pages.. what a long read that was, here is some more to add to that

My first post! but sadly because my pin broke and I received my new unit last week.

What I found helpful in the previous posts was accounts of what happened and asus service, so I will do the same. Skip this if you are disinterested.

When my pin broke I was actually very confused what happened. I bought my laptop g53S 4 months ago and it has been sitting on my desk ever since. Not on my lap, not moving it, my cord does not need to bend behind because my cord runs to the side to the outlet at desk level (no stress sideways or downward). Randomly I notice it stops charging and called asus right away.

Called Asus
    Me" "something doesn’t seem right its not charging and I dunno whats going on"
    Asus: "oh lets get you to send in your computer its the power pin"

....this means they obviously know about it.. I didn’t even mention a pin I really didn’t understand what was going on till after I made the call and then searched on the internet/saw pictures etc.

They got me my rma number and sent 2 emails with info. I had to pay for packaging but they paid both ways shipping.
    Shipping repair turnaround time was 10days (I am in NY, repaired in CA)... which is honestly a lot faster then I expected so awesome for that.

Now after reading this I notice people talking about this new hex pin. I did not receive one, I have the same ol' pin. I even used a very bright light and looked at the sides of the pin, its smooth and round just as the original. So they must be trying to get rid of more of the older pins before putting in the new, or maybe they found some older ones laying around and decided to throw them in... kinda bummed they did this but what can i do.

This is most definitely a manufacturing defect, not a user one. This laptop had not moved ever, and had no stress on the plug (as I stated my plug goes sideways from the laptop and outlet is at desk level).

I am now super nervous to use the laptop... its been on only for 5min in the past week (just to test it) because kind of scared for this to happen again....a small pin should not keep a laptop hostage lol.

I will be buying a L adapter off amazon which was provided on this page but ONE of the reviews however states this same problem happened with the L adapter, so really not sure if it matters.

Hope another person (in the next 5 min probably) tonight whos pin breaks will find some of this info helpful.
    I would compare this issue to smokers. If you smoke a pack a day for your entire life... some of you will get cancer, some a lung disease etc... and some people will just slide home free and nothing will happen. Its sadly a gamble.

Now for a question, what benefit would the plastic/rubber washer do? I am not understanding the mechanism how this may help the problem but willing to try anything to keep this from happening again

as I stated above, the L adapter wont help me much (but still going to buy it) because my outlet goes to side, I have no pull on the plug and one of the reviews states it broke anyways. Targus or similar products dont seem to be any different in mechanism from the L adapter. I am not a EE student so cant solder and if I tried would probably catch my whole laptop on fire. I am assuming this WILL happen again just incase it does.

The washer can help reduce stress in the socket if our cord hangs down below the level of the laptop. If not, then I would say it isn't worth it. Glad to hear that you got good service! It seems that ASUS now realizes what is going on.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

nah Zygo, the washer and L adapter don't help much. They certainly won't help, but from what I've seen and heard they won't fix the problem. Actually I'm half minded as to whether it would be good to use the L adapter. If the same problem occurs, then the pin might break off in the adapter, which means not only do you still need repairs, but you need to buy an adapter. It may just serve as more ammo for ASUS to claim it was your fault..

Generally the problem comes down to the poor quality of the charges sold by ASUS. If you make sure the cable is free of kinks and curls that can help, but you really should buy a new one. I got lucky and the repair centre gave me a new one and that has basically ended the 3-month cycle of failures.

I would say that the combination of poor design of the socket and the poor quality of chargers combined cause this problem.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array n3tninja's Avatar

Dear Rebel146,

it sometimes is not your pin's fault but your charger's fault. If you find your charger jack really heating up while playing a gfx intensive game, then its really the charger's fault your pin breaks. It may be true that the round pin is bleh but check your chargers too.

Tip: Never pull out your charger when its plugged in, always turn off your power supply then pull out the charger jack.

Another tip is please do NOT let your charger hang from the laptop down. That stress is really heavy, I've even compared it with other chargers. That asus charger jack is a juggernaut LOL.

This is my charger set up :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	251020121270.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	12941

I keep like an eraser or some support under that cylindrical thing, so the stress is pretty less than normal.
    Asus G53sw-A1
    Intel i7 2630qm
    Memory 8 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
    Windows 7 Premium
    1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
    4x Blu-Ray
    Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.

New ROGer Array

Just like everyone else, i had the same problem. First time the pin broke, and i didn't even know it until i read this forum. Sent it in, got it fixed. 1 month later it broke again, and i was VERY careful. The pin came out inside the charger tip! Sent it in, got it fixed. Finally they put a new hex shaped one in. So while they were in there monkeying around, they broke the blue tooth. Sent it back in, and you know the story. I'm ready to take this thing and chuck it out the window. Shame too, as it's a nice laptop and performs well. I keep my laptop on a flat table now, with something always supporting the power tip so there is no stress on it at all.

If anyone knows a better fix, please share. My warranty is up in a few weeks, and I'm sure it will break the next day. I'm not sure who has more hours logged on this machine...me....or Asus repair. By the way, my room mate bought a lesser model Asus laptop at the same time and it has worked fine since day one.

ROG Member Array

Why washers work, my theory

Quote Originally Posted by HumanMineral View Post
    Well, it just happened to me. I bought an "L" adapter as suggested and the things became so hot on first use that the plastic melted to the pin and when the adapter was removed the pin came out. So I'm sending it to CA to get fixed.

On a side note, anyone who is looking for the washers, I found them at Lowe's (or any DIY store). You want rubber washers 3/16 x 1/2 x 1/16. Stack if necessary. This $0.92 solution would have kept this from happening.
    I have the hex pin, but I use two washers (one supplied by ASUS and one purchased at a DIY store as described above). I believe that there are two reasons the washers work. (1) they they change the amount of the pin plugged into the adapter more shallow. As such the effect on the pin of any "play" on the adapter is reduced because the amount of contact between the two is reduced. I think it has something to do with levers and fulcrums, but I won't bore you with Archimedes principle. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes); and, (2) The washers act as support for the more shallowly plugged in adapter. The washers make contact with the case and bear the weight of the adapter, thereby spreading the weight out more evenly along the plastic casing and washer as opposed to the pin itself.

Granted, these are just my theories. Someone should by the devil a parka before I'll use my box to experiment to prove them. However, I haven't had any troubles with my pin since implementing the two washer system. You should know, I move my system everyday, multiple times a day, and I have the adapter cord doing everything everyone says not to. This is by necessity, not design. The point is that for me, the two washer system is working really well. A added benefit of the more shallow connection is that if someone trips over the cord, it detaches super easily and doesn't damage the pin.

I posit that anyone who is concerned about their pin should also implement it. For the price of gas and $1.98, do you think it is worth trying?
    ASUS RoG G53JW

@HumanMineral, everything you said in your theories is true. I never plug my adapter in all the way (it resists going in that far) and so have never had a problem. The spacing of the washers will do more than the load bearing, because a friction force requires a significant normal force in order to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    @HumanMineral, everything you said in your theories is true. I never plug my adapter in all the way (it resists going in that far) and so have never had a problem. The spacing of the washers will do more than the load bearing, because a friction force requires a significant normal force in order to work.
    I disagree, firstly because I don't force the plug in and it's broken 4 times.
    Secondly because making it shallower would increase the likelihood of it breaking, not decrease.

I don't think the problem is caused just by stresses. Otherwise it wouldn't get hot, and plugging it in all the way would break the socket not the pin.

Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast