Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

@Peregrine, good to hear that you had a better experience. I don't work for ASUS, but I would like to hear more success stories, since this issue does seem to be pretty common. However, it does appear that on the later G5X models, the issue has been corrected.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I've called Asus support twice now and had good experiences both times. I was only worried this time because the person I
    talked to called it CID.
    Pretty pleased now though. Shocked they replaced the keyboard without me even asking.
    Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by jt128 View Post
    I had this problem and rather than send it to Asus and wait for a month I replaced the dc jack myself. What a PITA. Anyways, I started having problems with the replacement shortly thereafter. This dc jack is terrible, and it costed me like $20 with shipping. I decided to fix it permanently with a different jack.

Before:
    Attachment 8090

After:
    Attachment 8091

Attachment 8092

I actually just used a 2.5/5.5mm (same size as stock) panel mount dc jack from Parts Express; it costs about $2. It's as simple as drilling a hole in the side and soldering some wires (see the red and black wires) to the motherboard. And you can use the stock connector from the AC adapter.

I'll give this some time but so far it seems very robust. It's much better than stock. Anyways, I'll probably end up replacing this and the connector with industrial connectors/jack from Lemo or ODU. They make indestructible industrial connectors. I'll post future progress here.

hI
    tried to find your update on the above wondering how it went?
    I have a G53SX-RH71
    and it has suffered the same problem as you I am looking to do what you did but wanted to see how yours is, did you get a permenant solution
    and can you advise if I can use the same charger with the part you fitted
    thanks in advance

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Proof that I speak with my dollars.
    A friend wanted to buy 2 Laptops. I found some nice ones for her. Now I am not a TOTAL fanboi, I will buy other products. In this case she ordered an Asus and an Acer laptop.
    *Note to Asus: your good result in my case already paid off for you.
    (Tried uploading photo, but that feature appears to be wonky)
    Asus Z170X + Asus GeFroce GTX Turbo 1070 +... all kinds of Asus goodies. #Fanboi

New ROGer Array

Unfortunately, I'm having similar issues. This is the second time for me, and the first past the one year warranty period. Two questions before I pick up the phone and try to talk my way into getting a fix.

1) If the laptop were under warranty, would I be allowed to remove the HDD temporarily to make backups without voiding the warranty? If I'm claiming defect, I don't want to mess around under the hood if I normally wouldn't be allowed to

2) If I lose the argument, how much is this going to cost me? I've got the G53SW. Would they just solder a new pin onto the mobo or would they replace the mobo entirely, as they do under warranty? I've got to imagine the former is significantly cheaper to do.

I don't want to be that guy that shys away from ASUS because of this, but it really does suck. I can't afford to replace the mobo once a year if that's what it comes down to. I love this laptop, and I'd hate to lose it after only 14 months of use. Especially when I'm posting this from my six-year-old Macbook.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by kingrobbo View Post
    hI
    tried to find your update on the above wondering how it went?
    I have a G53SX-RH71
    and it has suffered the same problem as you I am looking to do what you did but wanted to see how yours is, did you get a permenant solution
    and can you advise if I can use the same charger with the part you fitted
    thanks in advance

I actually decided to stick with the solution that I posted here. It has been very robust so there has been no reason to change it. The jack that I used is an exact match for the stock power adapter.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array n3tninja's Avatar

almost 2 years.

I have my G53 for almost 2 years with NOT even one issue. There was one tiny problem with the powerplug getting hot 2 weeks in and not charging, I got that replaced by another exact used power adapter (FROM ASUS) and ever since no problems ever.

I think the power adapter shipped with the g53 causes the problem, I don't know why or how. Ive been thinking, my hot power
    plug would have destroyed my pin eventually.

Also another note, I have a HEXAGONAL pin rather than a round cylindrical pin. Maybe the hexagonal pin is more sturdy.
    Asus G53sw-A1
    Intel i7 2630qm
    Memory 8 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5 GB
    Windows 7 Premium
    1 TB HDD @ 7200 rpm
    4x Blu-Ray
    Razer Mamba, Razer Abysus, Rog Gaming Mouse.

FPS GAMER.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by jt128 View Post
    Here is the jack I used:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=090-479

To make it fit the leads need bent. And I actually cut the earth ground tag off (it was in the way and isn't used anyways).

Now I need to find a black washer and nut to clean up the look a bit.
    Hi JT128 - thanks for the awesome idea. I just had the exact same problem and would like to fix it the same way you did.
    would you mind posting a detail pic of where you welded the wires? as in, where the red and black go in detail?

Thanks again!

New ROGer Array

Hi,

I'm about to purchase the same replacement part you did for the ASUS broken power jack issue.

I looked at your pictures but I can't quite see exactly where you soldered the wires. Would it be too much to ask if you could post more detailed instructions or pictures?

thanks so much for the great idea!

*sighs* I had the same issue on a G74sx. Had to send the laptop 1000 km away. But I was lucky, it was pretty quick. Only a week. Got a new battery as well. The computer was still under warranty. Pfew. I have this computer since february 2012. So I assume it's a common issue. Otherwise,, it's a great laptop.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast