cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power connector pin broke on my G53jw

Retired
Not applicable
Where the cable plugs into the laptop, the central pin in the jack broke off into the power cord... now, I cannot charge (or use) my computer.

I am wondering if others have seen this problem.
What can I do to fix this?
367 REPLIES 367

Retired
Not applicable
Well, unfortunately, the only answer I was able to get from Asus was that I needed to send it in for warranty repair. This means my nice laptop is not going to Milpitas, CA via FedEx (3-5 days) for a 3-4 day turnaround, and then another 3-5 days back to Minneapolis.

Makes me want to consider finding someplace that can do a modification to it, replacing the power supply connector with something like Apple does on their Macbooks.

SIGH.

So, has anyone else had this problem?

Retired
Not applicable
Hey,

I had the exact same issue, and after doing some digging on other websites i found there are other people that its happened to.

The power port always felt loose, but the fact that the pin came out could mean some design/quality issues as the pin is typically soldered to a larger plate bigger than the hole so it cannot be pulled out... but here we are.

Im waiting to hear back from Asus if they have my 1 year accidental on file, and ill be sending it in as well.

Retired
Not applicable
This should still be under your manufacturers warranty, rather than the accidental damage one... as this should be considered a manufacturing defect.

When I looked at the broken pin, it looked like it was less than a millimeter wide, down from around 2-2.5mm. Personally, I think that is far too thin for something as critical as this.

Checking around town here (in the Twin Cities), non-warranty repairs will run from $100-$150... and given the nature of this, I am fully expecting (unfortunately) this to happen again.

If you have links to sites talking about this problem, I would greatly appreciate it

Retired
Not applicable
Just happen to my 3yr old asus laptop.Same problem on last laptop a Benq. Fairly sure it is due to small plug just overheats to stage it welds itself to inside plug. This was my 3rd power supply in 3 yrs. With Benq I could not find anyone to fix.
So set too and pulled it apart and soldered 2 wires to inside power switch, led wire thru power plug hole and connected to power supply. Updated to Asus 3 yrs ago and same problem. Having quick look at back of Asus laptop it looks like it is going to be much easier to get to plug than benq. Design fault for sure. Dell seem to have larger plug to absorb the heat.

LoganJames wrote:
Hey,

I had the exact same issue, and after doing some digging on other websites i found there are other people that its happened to.

The power port always felt loose, but the fact that the pin came out could mean some design/quality issues as the pin is typically soldered to a larger plate bigger than the hole so it cannot be pulled out... but here we are.

Im waiting to hear back from Asus if they have my 1 year accidental on file, and ill be sending it in as well.

Retired
Not applicable
Ugh... this issue just occurred to my G53Sw. Anyone else having this too? I'm gonna send it to my service centre in a couple of days to get it fixed... hopefully it'll be fixed for good.. the lappy is only about 3 months old =(

Right now, the pin is stuck in my charger.. Probably not gonna try to mess with either the lappy or the charger... Wierd part is that the pin just came off (while i was taking out my charger). Without any force or the like =(

Any luck this I won't face this problem again?

~Cheers.

Retired
Not applicable
I just had the same thing happen to me. I did not mistreat the laptop in any way and the pin just came out one morning still stuck into my power supply cord. Unfortunate. I live in Japan. Is the warranty issue resolved or am I going to need to have ASUS call the Japan office. I dont know how it broke but I do know that I sure as heck did not break it. Also, should I go ahead and buy the adapter so this does not happen again?

Retired
Not applicable
Gonna go get it repaired today.. will keep this post updated so as to what happens.. Maybe it'll do us affected by this problem some good

Retired
Not applicable
I bought my G53JW from XoticPC in December. In February, the power pin broke and I sent it back to get fixed. Fast-forward 6 months to the last few weeks... I'm noticing that my power plug sometimes needs to get rotated/jiggled in order to actually charge the laptop (i.e. the pin is on its last legs again). I'm considering sending this in for a warranty fix and then grabbing the Targus APA05US Adapter.

If the pin breaks again, I'm buying my next laptop from a manufacturer other than ASUS. I love the design and performance, but a repeating failure like this is unacceptable. If the part fails consistently, it should be replaced with a better part, not the same part 😉

Retired
Not applicable
So yeah.. sorry guys, I know I'm about half a year late in responding ;p..
Was really busy with college and stuff, so my precious G53 sat there for bout half a year getting covered by dust >.<

Anyway, this is how it went.
I rang my service centre last Friday and they offered to get my lappy shipped on Monday. So yeah, the delivery company picked it up on Monday and it reached the centre on Tuesday. Since I was watching the RMA status every hour, I was pleasantly surprised that Asus fixed up my problem only 3 hours after arrival at the centre. Needless to say, it was sent back on the same day... Though it finally only arrived on Friday.. (It could have arrived on Thursday, buy delivery messed up.. grrrr...)

Was kinda happy with the 3-4 day turnaround. All my files were intact too 😄 If ASUS RMA is usually this fast (and convenient), I'll definitely be checking ASUS out for my next lappy.

Ahh, but back to the main topic.. How was my laptop?

Well, First thing I checked out was the broken pin, It seemed like they had just soldered it back on, so I wasn't too happy... might break again who knows?

For now, that's the least of my problems..
When I got my lappy back, I noticed two problems.
1. Windows was asking me to reactivate. I was kinda confused with this.. Anyone has any idea why? I tried using the same product key, but received the error message that it wasn't valid.. The service centre didn't even reformat my disks..
2. My Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller was giving me the Code 10 ('the device cannot start') error.... Was wondering whether the service centre took it out.. Or knocked it loose from the mobo? Dunno ;p.. Some research online led me to conclude that I'll need to BIOS flash to fix it.. But I really, really can't be stuffed doing that now.. Too much of a hassle if I fail the flash...

Guess I'll just have to do without wired internet =(..
Unless anyone has a suggestion 😃