cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW really strange behaviour

kiba
Level 10
yesterday morning, after playing battlefield 3, i let panda gp run a virus scan & it came back w/ nothing, and i shut it down. the next time i started it, it took forever for my windows cpu, and gpu gadgets to come on, and the HD gadget wouldnt come on at all. the cpu activity was going nuts, and i checked, but couldnt figure out what it was actually doing. ctrl alt delete would not work at all, and it took forever to do anything at all. i updated the gadgets the night before and thought maybe i had downloaded a virus/malware w/ them, but like i said, pandaGP came back w/ nothing on the scan and it was freshly updated.

so i restarted in safe mode and none of this behaviour was there, i tried restoring to an earlier date and repairing windows but it would not LET me, and the problems seemed to be getting worse. i figured the best option at that point would be to do an F9 restore, which i did.

Anyways, after the F9 restore, everything seems to be back to normal, but this freaked me out. i do absolutely NO browsing on it, i do that on my iphone. the only time i even use a browser is to DL drivers. the G75VW is my new laptop and all I use it for is gaming. i do all the other stuff and work from my G74SX. anybody have any idea what could have caused this so that i can avoid it in the future?
ROG Notebooks: G75VW, G74SX, & G73JH And a gaming rig.
15 REPLIES 15

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Jsl1ce wrote:
i updated the gadgets the night before and thought maybe i had downloaded a virus/malware w/ them, but like i said, pandaGP came back w/ nothing on the scan and it was freshly updated.

Sounds like either something had taken over your computer or maybe SSD was flaking out?

I always use a double combination of antivirus stuff and after my wife did some strange things last year became a big fan of Malware Bytes Anti Malware ... ( just my opinion but ) everyone should have this toolset available. You can run it in safe mode and ( with most recent updates applied ) usually it will identify anything bad.

I know nothing of panda but well obviously it is not a real player in the marketplace. Some people like microsoft security essentials ( which I think plays ok with MBAM not sure ) but the top dog in commercial sales is Symantec and you can also get a bootable disc from them which can boot up a system and get most recent updates and then do full scans.

I hope you are doing full system images periodically to an external hard drive ... you could have restored your system to one of those from before you applied your last gadgets.

I for one do not really understand the appeal of gadgets much and they seem risky but hwinfo64 is pretty proven and is very customizable for alerting/etc.

What kind of SSD are you running on? Is it possible it was having issues and/or needs firmware revision?

dstrakele
Level 14
IASTOR.SYS of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver has been implicated in high CPU utilization leading to lockups, particlarly during startups.

Another possibility is UNinstallation of ASUS Bloatware apps can sometimes result in system instability. A clean Windows install rather than an ASUS Factory Restore will eliminate this possibility.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

kiba
Level 10
i have a crucial SSD, off the top of my head i cant remember what model but ill check when i get back home... im pretty sure its just the laptop version of the ones i have in my rig. PandaGP is actually listed in 3rd place behind avast and bitdefender on cnet reviews i beleive. i use it because my work has unlimited usage on it for all their servers, so its free for me, plus it takes up very little resources. for their virus definitions, they use "collected intelligence" which supposedly shares virus definitions between antivirus software like AVG, Avast, bitdefender and a few others i think for mutual benefit. that said, if it was virus/malware, i dont get why it didnt catch it because i always update before i scan, although something could have slithered in after the scan. i dunno, works great now tho. to me this seems like virus/malware behaviour.

Thoughts?

dstrakele
Level 14
Process Explorer might be able to help you determine what causes the high CPU utilization if it should recur. It is an oft-reported symptom of Antivirus driver conflicts. Panda could be the cause rather than a virus. You may need to apply a Panda hotfix (see http://support.pandasecurity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168&p=613).

kiba
Level 10
^great find, im checking the hotfixes out now, thanks dstrakele, helpful as always.

But while this is happening are you able to see which process is taking all the CPU usage? is it the anti-virus? System? or something else?

Was yours related to the panda antivirus? did the hot fix work? because i'm using kaspersky.... 😞
ASUS G75VW-TS72 Bios 207- Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD + 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M.

MPelissari
Level 7
Jsl1ce, welcome to the group, if you do find the answer to this one please post it on, i have been trouble shooting this with dstrakele for a while now, the exactly syntoms some times during startup or during a normal laptop use, high use of CPU then nothing gets done on the laptop you would have to wait 10 minutes to something to boot up or during other times 5 minutes for something to get done, mouse works nice other then that everything is very slow, i have done the unistallation of IASTOR.SYS as dstrakele suggested and it now less often, but it still happens, i running now lantencyMon, ProcessExplorer V15 that come out this month, running realtemp, and the DPC latency to see if i can catch at the time what might it be causing this freezes and high cpu load... if you find any thing useful please share...

this is what i have tried so far: fresh install of windows 7 ult sp1, remove Intel rapid storage driver, i'm using Kaspersky as my antivirus, i have only the hotkeys from asus installed no other bloatware...

You can follow up my post http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?16933-G75VW-TS72-with-random-BSOD...&country=&status= to see what i have tried so far... now i'm counting 3 users with the same thing... and other 7 on another forum... in a conclusion it is related to a DPC high latency related to driver malfunctioning, but so far i haven't find the one that is causing.. today i will update the video card to a beta driver to check if still persists i couldn't do yesterday since i was busy here on the rig with work...
ASUS G75VW-TS72 Bios 207- Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR3, 128 SSD + 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M.

dstrakele
Level 14
Take a look at http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?17744-Asus-G73S-Freezing-Locking-up&p=122462&viewfull=1#pos.... In this post, @RevertM reports a long-standing lockup issue is resolved when disabling the NVIDIA High Definition Audio and Reatek Audio drivers. I'm wondering if certain version combinations of these 2 audio drivers cause a conflict...

MPelissari
Level 7
I will try that, that is a new one, but also i will try the Beta driver installation thru safe mode...i will do both today... will keep update too...