Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonCantor View Post
    On my CHIVF it flashes the CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT, and settles on Boot till it gets past Post. and it's the same with my Crosshair V Thunderbolt.
    Safe to say that the board is dead then?

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

Yep, Sorry for the bad news. I've got a system here It powered yesterday but today it's dead as well...Not much of a loss because it's old but is a pain because now I have to replace it.

ROG Member Array

I have pm'ed mason@asus.

I'll have to be honest, none of the replies to this thread have been particularly helpful despite my desperately well worded, written and troubleshooted methods being done. (English fail??)

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear from Mason soon and I have arranged to have the cpu tested, but thats a few days away

I left ASUS, please contact cl-scott Array

Hi produkt-nz,

Sorry to hear that clearing the CMOS killed your board. Well, I'm sure clearing the CMOS didn't actually kill your board but it seems that it set off some chain of events resulting in your board dying. It's even possible that it's only coincidence that you cleared CMOS right before you started having issues with the board. To answer part of your question, you do not need to fully depress the clear CMOS button for the CMOS to be cleared. It's a fairly sensitive button.

I would say it's more likely that your board has died as opposed to your CPU but I can't rule out for sure that that it's not a dead CPU leaving the board to be possibly dead or possibly perfectly fine. You mentioned no post and no beeps; did you get any lights on the board like the DRAM, CPU_LED, etc. like DCantor mentioned?

If I had to guess I would say it's more likely that the board is dead. If you'd like me help you RMA the board I can or if you'd rather try another CPU first, just to be sure, then that's not a bad idea either.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Mason@ASUS View Post
    Hi produkt-nz,

Sorry to hear that clearing the CMOS killed your board. Well, I'm sure clearing the CMOS didn't actually kill your board but it seems that it set off some chain of events resulting in your board dying. It's even possible that it's only coincidence that you cleared CMOS right before you started having issues with the board. To answer part of your question, you do not need to fully depress the clear CMOS button for the CMOS to be cleared. It's a fairly sensitive button.

I would say it's more likely that your board has died as opposed to your CPU but I can't rule out for sure that that it's not a dead CPU leaving the board to be possibly dead or possibly perfectly fine. You mentioned no post and no beeps; did you get any lights on the board like the DRAM, CPU_LED, etc. like DCantor mentioned?

If I had to guess I would say it's more likely that the board is dead. If you'd like me help you RMA the board I can or if you'd rather try another CPU first, just to be sure, then that's not a bad idea either.
    Hi Mason, and thanks for the input

I have nolights out of the 'ddr normal/crazy/high | cpu normal/crazy/high" on cold or warm boot.
    I have only the CPU light below the atx power connector showing the following 'code' .5 sec on||OFF|| .2 sec on||OFF||.REMAINS OFF.
    No other lights in that group of 4 led's light up. Only the cpu lights in the previously mentioned pattern

No problem produkt-nz. Hmm, well since the CPU LED is the only Q_LED light that even comes on at all, that might increase the probability that it's bad CPU as opposed to bad board. Sorry for mentioning that I would be able to help you with an RMA; I failed to notice that you're in NZ. If you do end up needing to RMA the board, I'm sure you can RMA it at our service center there or at your place of purchase. I'm definitely interested in hearing what comes of the CPU test if you get the chance to test with another CPU.

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonCantor View Post
    On my CHIVF it flashes the CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT, and settles on Boot till it gets past Post. and it's the same with my Crosshair V Thunderbolt.
    oh i was wondering why my pc lights up like a christmas tree when i turn it on now i know but my cpu light dont flash only turns orange lol but all other lights come on then flash then go green and bingo posts extra did have one problem today would not post but stupid me forgot to sit all the sticks down so its now sorted loving the lights on this mb. but unsure if my orange light is normal or not as in my book says its running higher voltage but im using the buldoser cpu so could be normal i guess i hope,

Quote Originally Posted by Dark View Post
    oh i was wondering why my pc lights up like a christmas tree when i turn it on now i know but my cpu light dont flash only turns orange lol but all other lights come on then flash then go green and bingo posts extra did have one problem today would not post but stupid me forgot to sit all the sticks down so its now sorted loving the lights on this mb. but unsure if my orange light is normal or not as in my book says its running higher voltage but im using the buldoser cpu so could be normal i guess i hope,
    Are you talking about where it says CPU normal/high/crazy? If it's yellow/orange it means that the CPU voltage is somewhere between 1.35 - 1.49v. You can confirm this by checking the vCore in the UEFI and you may be able to decrease your overall CPU voltage some using offset as well.

ROG Member Array

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mason@ASUS View Post
    Are you talking about where it says CPU normal/high/crazy? If it's yellow/orange it means that the CPU voltage is somewhere between 1.35 - 1.49v. You can confirm this by checking the vCore in the UEFI and you may be able to decrease your overall CPU voltage some using offset as well.
    Hi Mason. An update.

CPU tested completely fine, nothing wrong with it, and it had 8+ hours of solid ra**.
    Seems to be more than 99.9% certain that it's the board that's died, unfortunately

As with your mention of RMA'ing the board, I have already arranged this thru my original place of purchase (www.playtech.co.nz) I just didn't want to send it off until I had the CPU tested.

Thanks very much for your support and assistance Mason/everyone. I've recieved far better help thru this forum than I could hope for on any Gigabyte forum... (Not sighting an example here!!)

Thanks guys =)

For future references, This is addressed to anyone else that has searched this thread either via Google or whateverelsethereisatthispointintime

Accidentally reset BIOS/CMOS via I/O panel button.
    Pc started locking and freezing during normal BIOS post.
    Reset machine. Got into BIOS. PC locked during re-entering settings.
    Reset. No post. No beeps. No DDR_NORMAL/CRAZY/HIGH lights. No CPU CRAZY/HIGH/NORMAL lights. No Northbridge/HT normal/crazy/high LIGHST. CPU Q-led flashed only in the following pattern 5 sec on||OFF|| .2 sec on||OFF||.REMAINS OFF.
    Reseated RAM. Changed modules around. CLeaned gold finger contacts. Tried new ram. No post. No beeps.
    Tried alternative power supply. No Post. No Beeps
    Reseat CPU. No Post. No Beeps
    Clear cmos via onboard jumper. No Post. No Beeps
    Done a complete isolation test (CPU and power only). No Post. No Beeps.
    Tried alternative CPU
    Tested CPU elsewhere

If you have arrived at this point with still no post and no Beeps. Then it's safe to assume your board is dead.
    -produkt-NZ
    Last edited by produkt-nz; 07-04-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Thanks for your update, produkt-NZ, and for posting the sequence of events to help others. Best of luck with the replacement board. Let us know how it goes when you get it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2