cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially dead Crosshair formula 4 (need confirmation if possible)

produkt-nz
Level 7
Hello 🙂

Tonight the worst thing happened, and I am very stressed. In 2010 i bought a new Asus ROG crosshair IV Formula board, and later in 2011 bought the cpu and ram for it. got it all together late 2011 and its been working a charm ever since... until tonight.

On my silverstone fortress ft02-b, i lifted the top cover and attempted to plug in a USB mouse, now maybe i have fat fingers or whatnot, but i hit the reset cmos button on the i/o panel accidentally. (Of note, is that you dont even need to fully depress the button for it to be toggled)

Now before you post, ensure you read thru all the steps i took and make NO assumptions

The machine turned off instantly and turned back on just fine, except.
On post the pc would freeze and lock up.
Reset
Freeze and lock up
Power off. (10 mins later)
Got into BIOS. PC locked up during entering the settings.
Reset
No post
Reset
No post
Changed the jumper on rtlc to pins 2-3 for around 30 seconds. returned to pins 1-2
No beeps. No post
Removed CMOS battery for 10 minutes. removed power.
No beeps. No post
Reseated all DIMM modules after cleaning them with contact cleaner and a lint free cloth.
No beeps. No post
Tried 1 DIMM at a time.
No post. No post. No post. No post.
Tried NEW ddr3 ram
No beeps. No post
Tried alternative powersupply even tho i just installed a new seasonic x-1050 5 days prior
No post
Removed ALL periphals leaving just the motherboard in the case with power and cpu.
No beeps. No post
Reseated the CPU
No beeps. No post
Tried a different CPU from the compatibility list on the crosshair IV formula Asus page (amd x2 something something) Turns out it wasnt in the compatibility list and I misread... oops >_<
No beeps. No post.

With the above in mind, would you say that I've tried everything a reasonably skilled computer technician would do?

And if you have would you agree that it's dead? and I should RMA it? I hope it's still under warrant, because im still a broke ass student!
19 REPLIES 19

DaemonCantor
Level 13
It's Dead Jim!...They have a 3 year Warranty so RMA it also PM Mason@Asus first because he's the one that I've dealt with when all things had failed with Asus. Trust me Deal with Mason First.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome and Sorry to hear of your issue.
Im thinking at the least maybe the bios chip is corrupt.
But you were in the bios Once.
No red leds ? What exactly do you see upon boot attempt?
What country r u in ?

chrsplmr wrote:
Welcome and Sorry to hear of your issue.
Im thinking at the least maybe the bios chip is corrupt.
But you were in the bios Once.
No red leds ? What exactly do you see upon boot attempt?
What country r u in ?

Hi chrsplmr. Yes I'm thinking the same thing, but I also thought about the crashfree bios etc and all that seems irrelevant at this point.
What I see on boot:
No LED's (CPU_Crazy\high\normal) DDR, northbridge/whateverelsethereis etc show on the motherboard whatsoever EXCEPT the hdd activity orange led near the dimm's. Harddrive light on the case is on for a bit on cold boot then turns off with no further activity.
I also have the Corsair airflow pro on the corsair ram. It goes thru it's led init phases then once it's finished there is no ram activity whatsoever.

If it helps, here's a video showing what it's doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NE5YNuIHp4&feature=youtu.be

I am in New Zealand.

PS: there is more information leading to the crash that i should have mentioned.
In BF3 shortly before the crash, system speed (fps, general responsiveness) was slightly lower than usual. I think there was a 20 fps hit to fps in bf3 or so. machine had locked a month prior to all this happening. it locked with a hard-lock while playing a YouTube video and looping sound. No BSOD displayed. Had done this a few times with no hardware settings changes made or new hardware added.

Zka17
Level 16
Just an idea... have you tried an other PSU?

Yea man, tried that as a first port of call as i had installed a Seasonic x-1050 5 days earlier. tried that again tonight with no luck.

I have been fiddling around with it a fair bit tonight, and i'm now thinking its the CPU that died.
Directly under the atx power connector (24pins) on the motherboard there are 4 red led's Labelled CPU DRAM VGA BOOT_DEVICE (which I had forgotten about). On cold boot the CPU light lights up a few times in the following pattern

.5 sec on||OFF|| .2 sec on||OFF||.REMAINS OFF.

I need an official word from a moderator or other technician directly affliliated with Asus if possible. The board has been rma'd but if they find nothing wrong with then, then I get charged.

So I need to know if this series of flashes from the CPU led is a problem code or not.
Now i'm thinking it's the cpu, but i need confirmation on this if possible 😞

And heres a STUPID QUESTION: While l am a pc technician, I have no idea if a new motherboard like this one will beep without a cpu. I dont have a replacement to test so i cannot eliminate the cpu failing 😞

Dark
Level 9
Cant you flash the bios at all or reset the bios to factory settings again but on saying yeah from reading sounds broken to me ;( RMA sounds like best option.
motherboard ASUS Crosshair V Formula
PSU Fractal Design Newton R2 1000W
MemoryRipjaws 16 GB
CaseArmor Mx
CPUAMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz

Clocked to 4.5GHz

Im a girl 🙂 so be nice as i bite

Dark wrote:
Cant you flash the bios at all or reset the bios to factory settings again but on saying yeah from reading sounds broken to me ;( RMA sounds like best option.

Hey, No the BIOS / board is DEAD, but I need to rule out the CPU being at fault. No I cannot clear the bios either using the pins nor i/o panel button.
On the crosshair formula IV, can someone check if thier CPU led light comes up on cold boot or not? and if it does, in what sequence does it flash?

DaemonCantor
Level 13
If the CPU isn't even in the Socket it would light up minimum... so like I stated earlier No Lights+No Beep+No Post and all of the test you had done correctly...It's DEAD, RMA it.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
On my CHIVF it flashes the CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT, and settles on Boot till it gets past Post. and it's the same with my Crosshair V Thunderbolt.