ROG Guru: Green Belt Array mrwolf's Avatar

G75VW and 5.1 Surround

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have just picked up a G75 and I must say its awesome! Just very unfortunate that we cannot hook up 5.1 audio directly. I am wondering if anyone here has their system hooked up to surround sound and if so how I can do this. Would it be a good idea to buy a creative x-fi external sound card? Or is the only way through hdmi?

Would be great if I could get some advice / opinions on this as I have a good 5.1 set up which i was using with my old alienware m17x.

Thanks in advance

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by mrwolf View Post
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have just picked up a G75 and I must say its awesome! Just very unfortunate that we cannot hook up 5.1 audio directly. I am wondering if anyone here has their system hooked up to surround sound and if so how I can do this. Would it be a good idea to buy a creative x-fi external sound card? Or is the only way through hdmi?

Would be great if I could get some advice / opinions on this as I have a good 5.1 set up which i was using with my old alienware m17x.

Thanks in advance
    I just looked at my G75's 3.5mm jack closely and I do see the optical transmitter in there. When I get home this evening and providing I can find the little 3.5mm optical converter I'll test it out and post the results.
    Asus G75WV-NS72 - Kubuntu Linux 12.04.1

Crosshair V AMD FX 8150 @ 4.1 GHz
    2x EVGA GeForce 570 GTX
    Patriot Viper Extreme @ 2004Mhz 9-11-9-27 1.65V
    OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 120Gb
    ThermalTake Element G
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    Corsair H80
    Windows 7 Pro x64 until the Steam client for linux is available and stable.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by mrwolf View Post
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum and have just picked up a G75 and I must say its awesome! Just very unfortunate that we cannot hook up 5.1 audio directly.
    Should work directly out of headphone jack ... is yours having an issue?

ROG Enthusiast Array

OK here is what I found.

First set the default audio device to SPDIF Interface (TX0) as it will not automatically detect the connection and there you go.

I did some testing and it seems capable of DTS and Dolby Digital but only in Stereo but here is the good news! I popped in a DVD and selected SPDIF Passthrough in VLC's options and then I had 5.1 signal to my receiver.

So if your receiver doesn't have any 5-7ch enhancement modes you'll only get 2ch audio on any two channel media but as I have found as long as your media has multiple channels and your media player supports SPDIF passthrough you can get 5/7.1 audio.
    Asus G75WV-NS72 - Kubuntu Linux 12.04.1

Crosshair V AMD FX 8150 @ 4.1 GHz
    2x EVGA GeForce 570 GTX
    Patriot Viper Extreme @ 2004Mhz 9-11-9-27 1.65V
    OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 120Gb
    ThermalTake Element G
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    Corsair H80
    Windows 7 Pro x64 until the Steam client for linux is available and stable.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

+1 @rabbertklein! Good find!
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT