cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX Short, Sporadic Freezes During Gameplay

TorsoJones
Level 7
Hey everyone. I've realized through some searching that this problem is pretty common among users of the Asus ROG laptops, but I have yet to find a straight answer on how to fix it. Basically, in most games I've played on this computer (TF2, Fallout NV, L4D2, and CoD4 are the ones I've noticed it in, with Fallout and CoD4 having it the worst), the game will be running as it's supposed to, but will occasionally freeze for 1-3 seconds. Sometimes the sound loops, sometimes it doesn't. The time between these freezes is quite sporadic; sometimes it's only a couple of minutes, sometimes it's 10-15 minutes, and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. With the exception of the freezes, all of these games run at 60+ FPS on maximum settings, so in general I could not be happier with this machine. I would, however, really like to be able to fix this problem (hopefully without having to send the laptop in for repairs). Thanks for your help!
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
Are you using wireless? If not you might just want to disable it for starters.

You might try giving DPC Latency Checker a try. A few of the guys around here swear by it. It allows you to see delays in Windows.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Are you using wireless? If not you might just want to disable it for starters.

You might try giving DPC Latency Checker a try. A few of the guys around here swear by it. It allows you to see delays in Windows.

So should I disable my wireless internet and try the games to see if they still studder?

Also, I turned on DPC Latency Checker a few hours ago and played some CoD4 MP. It stayed mostly in the green, and spiked to yellow during the freezes. I then quit and left to go do something, came back about an hour and a half later, and woke up my computer. As the computer woke up the latency spiked up to red levels for just one bar, but then was quickly back to green. Is that normal? And if I were to find some problems with latency, how should I go about fixing them?

xeromist
I would disable non-critical things one at a time (wireless, excess software, etc) and check DPC or try gaming. That's going to be your best troubleshooting method.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

dstrakele
Level 14
Are you using McAfee Antivirus? If so, uninstalling it and rebooting may help. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14960-G75VW-random-audio-and-graphics-spike&p=106744&viewfu... and read to the end of the thread.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Do you have an Atheros WiFi card? If so, what version Atheros driver are you currently running? Versions prior to 9.2.1.432 had bad DPC Latency that caused many performance issues.

2) Are you using McAfee Antivirus? If so, uninstalling it and rebooting may help. See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14960-G75VW-random-audio-and-graphics-spike&p=106744&viewfu... and read to the end of the thread.

You could then choose a different Antivirus product. Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT