cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I update BIOS and Chipset if everything is fine?

kmullins131
Level 7
Hey everyone, So i just finished my first build ever and I think I have everything working fine. Here are the specs:

3770k i7
Asus Maximus V Gene
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
Nvidia EVGA GTX 570 HD
Corsair H100
Fatality 750w

So my question is should I update the BIOS and chipset drivers or not? I have the drivers for the GPU and the ones that came with the motherboard but that's about all. Since this is my first build I could really use any advise on what to do after a build is done. Any other drivers I should install please tell me! Thanks!

Also the display on the motherboard says "A0" all the time but I read that is fine so should I not worry?
5 REPLIES 5

Sindorei
Level 7
No need to update your bios,

If there is nothing wrong with them then there is no need to update them 😄

As for the GPU you tend to want to keep that one up to date as much as possible .

RazorCat
Level 10
as long as your system is doing fine and running smoothly no need to update the bios... chipset drivers yeah.. but bios.. leave it like that.. 😄
R7-3700X | ROG STRIX B550-F WIFI | Noctua NH-D15s | 2x16Gb TUF VULCAN 3600Mhz | 4 X 1TB WD Caviar Blue, 2TB Caviar Green | Palit GTX 1070Ti | SEASONIC 850W FOCUS GOLD | NZXT Phantom White | ASUS VG278QR-J / ASUS VX239H

Zka17
Level 16
I agree, update the BIOS only if you have some troubles! If everything is working really fine, I would leave the drivers as they are too...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd say update the chipset driver. Any Intel driver is begging for updates from the moment they release it. The bios you can leave as it is unless you have stability issues etc. or unless you suffer from the rare medical condition I have, that means you just have to try it no matter the fact that it is wholly unnecessary. :rolleyes: But my board has two bios chips meaning if it goes fubar I have backup...not sure the gene has that.

Bare in mind that some updates really are useful....things like microcode changes for PCIe 3.0 improvements might be included .....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Bear in mind that some updates really are useful....things like microcode changes for PCIe 3.0 improvements might be included .....

Unfortunately for now, ASUS are too lazy to include changelogs with their BIOS revisions to tell us exactly what they changed with each new revision 😕