cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to buy the G75VW in Canada

Dacarlover
Level 7
Hello guys, i'm looking to buy a desktop replacement to last me around years, and am interested in the ROG's newest notebooks.
I live in ON, Canada.
(i'm aware the tech will be outdated very soon. i just want a reliable desktop replacement for a few years)

I'm looking for these specs in the laptop

15-17" screen, full HD
2.3GHz Ivy Bridge QM
12-16GM RAM
500GB HDD
GTX660M is preferred, as it's newer kepler tech, consumes less power, and could possibly be OC'd to match the 670M (although the 1GB missing ram might make a diff 😛 )

Since i've been seeing quite a few threads on hardware issues with the G55/75VW laptops, it would be massively helpful if anyone could tell me which of the warranty options to go for, so that i could get a replacement unit if mine turns out faulty...

Edit: I've also looked at the Lenovo Y580, which seems to offer the sames specs for ~300$ lower, but i've heard mixed answers regarding lenovo's ideapad reliability, while many recommend asus.

For those who've already bought the G55/75VW, how's the build quality, does it come with a backpack and mouse 😛 ?

(Main reason i'm asking these questions is because asus' site doesn't have any details regarding the sales of the laptop...)

Thanks a lot :D:D
7 REPLIES 7

Cecil_2099
Level 11
I picked mine up at Best Buy here in the United States. My build quality is solid, no flaws to it, ran it through its paces when I first unboxed it and love it. It didn't come with a backpack or a mouse. I was considering buying it from TigerDirect as at that time (back with the product first launched) it was shipping with a backpack and mouse, but I didn't want to deal with mailing back a product if it was defective, so I went with Best Buy because they had a 30-day no questions asked return policy. It only has a 1-year manufacturer's warranty and I didn't buy any extended warranty.

As for a list of retailers, here is a partial list off the top of my head (listed in no particular order):
XoticPC.com
TigerDirect.com
Amazon.com
NewEgg.com
CanadaComputer.com
NCIX.com
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

Cecil_2099 wrote:
I picked mine up at Best Buy here in the United States. My build quality is solid, no flaws to it, ran it through its paces when I first unboxed it and love it. It didn't come with a backpack or a mouse. I was considering buying it from TigerDirect as at that time (back with the product first launched) it was shipping with a backpack and mouse, but I didn't want to deal with mailing back a product if it was defective, so I went with Best Buy because they had a 30-day no questions asked return policy. It only has a 1-year manufacturer's warranty and I didn't buy any extended warranty.

As for a list of retailers, here is a partial list off the top of my head (listed in no particular order):
XoticPC.com
TigerDirect.com
Amazon.com
NewEgg.com
CanadaComputer.com
NCIX.com

Yea, I saw the xotic PC page, very interested too, especially to get it with the custom keyboard lighting (pity they dont have a steelseries setup) but wondering about the customs duty, which they say i'll have to pay once i receive the package.

Also, if i order from NCIX/Canada Computers/xoticpc, will i be charged for tax? If so, how much?
Will they replace my unit if it turns out to be faulty?

Ayman wrote:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Desc...

I saw this, but i'm not sure which warranty option to pick. What if my unit is faulty? will i get a replacement?

(Sorry for the newbiness, international student lol...)

firmware
Level 7
You can also try Memoryexpress, thats where i go to get my techs and i use www.shopbot.ca to price match!

Ayman
Level 10
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Desc...
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D.
CPU: Core i7-7700K.
Board: Asus Maximus IV Formula Z270.
VGA: Asus Strix GTX 1080.
Ram: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3000MHz.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110.
PSU: Corsair AX860iW.
SoundCard: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe.

firmware
Level 7
Your best bet is to buy it locally because there are 5 NCIX stores in ON, and if it is faulty you can easily return it for a new one.

Asus comes with a 2 year warranty and a 1 year accidental warranty .

Cecil_2099
Level 11
Contact the retailers you are interested in purchasing from directly. Call or email them. I'm sure they'd reply to you in a business day or so with answers to your questions about their return policies and taxes and duty.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55