cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound configuration with g74sx? HDMI?

tyrspawn
Level 7
How do I get the most out of my sound configuration? I have logitech z 5500 speakers and from my understanding, you must connect HDMI to the g74 to get true 5.1 surround? Does anyone know how to do this properly? Right now I am just running the green analog wire to the headphone jack, but that's only stereo.

The z5500 has optical, coax and analog connectors, no HDMI. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

spamme
Level 7
g74->hdmi->tv->optical->receiver

What do you mean by TV? I am using monitor for display and external speakers for sound.

The G74Sx provides an optical Toslink signal out from the headphone jack. it requires a 3.5mm plug adapter such as the one sold here. They also sell ready-made cables with a 3.5mm plug on one end and a standard optical connector on the other. Just make sure your cables are long enough.

It's also possible to run HDMI out to a splitter box with Toslink (optical) conversion. The store linked above also offers these boxes for quite a bit more than a simple 3.5mm plug adapter.

Not sure if you'll have to do some tweaking to get proper 5.1 surround out of the laptop's Toslink digital output, but let us know how it turns out and good luck.
G74Sx - BIOS 203