cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RoG Xonar Phoebus or Onboard?

doctorsplendid
Level 7
Firstly, hello to all as it is my first post 🙂

Right, my question is . . I have a new Onkyo TX-NR616 home cinema amp. Now it has no analogue inputs, Toslink and Coaxial are my options. I am running a Gigabyte Z77x-UD5 mobo via toslink to the amp for sound. I hardly ever wear headphones for gaming.

Now, I have a bit of cash spare and have been looking at the Asus RoG Xonar Phoebus. I understand that it's full capability is unleashed with analogue and headphones but would it be worth me considering it for my current setup?

Thanks in advance

Chris

p.s I have a 3.1 set up. I am using Q Acoustics 2020i for L & R with the matching centre and sub. The computer room isn't big enough to justify a 5.1 and no matter how hard I try I cannot convince my wife otherwise 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Chickenz
Level 9
You would certainly gain an improvement in sound. Through digital alott of it is more to do with your amps DAC. Although the 5.1 upmixing can encode in DTS or DD which is the best thing about soundcards but its not of use to you unfortunately :(. So it may not be as great as others see. However if you're running your system digital I'd probably say the Xonar STX or ST is the card for you as it is built almost entirely around that output. As with Phoebus there is no Coax out only Toslink and it just feels more tailored for the analog user (I spose given most PC speakers have anlog inputs).

Perhaps someone else will be able to write their experience so you have more to justify your purchase 🙂

Hey, thanks for the reply 🙂

I am doing as much digging into this set up as possible and the Asus Xonar D2X may be a better option for me. I think the phoebus would be a fantastic card if it was powering my sound system rather than just pushing out the digital signal. I fear I would be wasting its true capability as I also would have no use for the desktop mic/headphone controller.

_Deep
Level 7
doctorsplendid wrote:
Firstly, hello to all as it is my first post 🙂

Right, my question is . . I have a new Onkyo TX-NR616 home cinema amp. Now it has no analogue inputs, Toslink and Coaxial are my options. I am running a Gigabyte Z77x-UD5 mobo via toslink to the amp for sound. I hardly ever wear headphones for gaming.

Now, I have a bit of cash spare and have been looking at the Asus RoG Xonar Phoebus. I understand that it's full capability is unleashed with analogue and headphones but would it be worth me considering it for my current setup?

Thanks in advance

Chris

p.s I have a 3.1 set up. I am using Q Acoustics 2020i for L & R with the matching centre and sub. The computer room isn't big enough to justify a 5.1 and no matter how hard I try I cannot convince my wife otherwise 🙂

whats wrong with you ! the phoebus is the best choice for you.. ! 😉

i am also driving a edifier s550 5.1 analog system with rog phoebus.. sounds magnificent.. like my beyerdynamic t90 on the integrated headphone amplifier which is by the way the same chip of the STX.. just get it and you wont miss it again 😉
Intel Core i7 3770K @4,5Ghz 1,164V cooled by Prolimatech Megahalem with Noiseblocker Multiframes
ASUS R.O.G Maximus IV Extreme Z-68
4x4GB G.SKiLL RipjawsX 1600Mhz
Gainward GeForce 680 GTX OC Phantom
ASUS R.O.G Xonar Phoebus
Corsair AX850 PSU
Edifier S550 5.1 Gaming System
Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Headphone
Samsung SSD 830 Series 128 GB @Windows Enterprise x64
Seagate Barracuda XT 7200.12 2000GB Hard Disc

I previously had a Xonar D2X (I still use it it's in my car PC now). Brilliant card however Asus seem to have abandoned driver development. If you buy one I'd probably advise using the Uni Xonar drivers if you google them you'll see what I'm talking about. I will admit I feel better stereo positioning from the Phoebus however. But I believe this is due to the improved upmixing through SurroundMax. ( I use 5.1). What I did try in a actual stereo setup had great imaging on the D2X.

Oops I put the Captcha in the title haha 😛