Storage #2Red 120Gb SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT x60
    CaseHafX
    Power SupplyAX1200
    Keyboard Vengeance K95
    Mouse G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    OS 8.1 Pro 64-bit

I still think by grounding the main PSU power cable "properly" would have stopped the hum, but I can only "assume" it since I don't have the piece anymore

Quote Originally Posted by AVtemp View Post
    Thats why you need to use Ferrite bead with Phoebus additional power cable (inside your PC).
    Also make sure to place that cable as far as you can from Graphics card or motherboard.
    if your theory is right, then supressing will be so much a hassle
    Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
    Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
    -me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
    Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

ROG Member Array

What about the PSU/chassi is it grounded to earth ?
    Sometimes if you dont have a good ground you can get 50/60Hz hum from the mic or other interferences.

I had my mouse input heard in my headset , then i rerouted my power to a diffrent socket so that i had real grounding, then it disappeared almost complete ( i can hear it if i crank the volume up to almost the top with no other sounds going on in my headset).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3E-u...feature=colike <---- Noise starting at 0:10 Gpu starts working.

I asked my friend to do a test. He have an older computer laying around and i asked him to use the power supply from that computer to feed the Phoebus power plug, i told him to use the same outlet so that he had the same grounding so that the PSU´s have the same earth point.
    That my friends did work, not a single sound of a "Lawnmover" when i did a test with furmark to push the GPU to max.
    So in this case it seems to be "Crap sound" coming through the PSU unit (Corsair TX750m), so he might need to change to a better PSU to get rid of the "Lawnmover" sound.
    Last edited by G-Gnu; 10-26-2013 at 09:26 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I had bad hum for an eternity and I got rid of it by removing the Control Box. Live chatted with Asus about it having a short in the wire and they said it's not covered by warranty as it is considered a non-serialized accessory. Try disconnecting that and hooking up the headphones / mic directly to the card. That fixed the hum for me.

ROG Member Array

I have the same issue with Xonar Phoebus Solo. I will send it to RMA. For me card which has that kind of problem is broken. I have my onboard realtek and it doesn't make that kind of sound at all.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by G-Gnu View Post
    What about the PSU/chassi is it grounded to earth ?
    Sometimes if you dont have a good ground you can get 50/60Hz hum from the mic or other interferences.

I had my mouse input heard in my headset , then i rerouted my power to a diffrent socket so that i had real grounding, then it disappeared almost complete ( i can hear it if i crank the volume up to almost the top with no other sounds going on in my headset).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3E-u...feature=colike <---- Noise starting at 0:10 Gpu starts working.

I asked my friend to do a test. He have an older computer laying around and i asked him to use the power supply from that computer to feed the Phoebus power plug, i told him to use the same outlet so that he had the same grounding so that the PSU´s have the same earth point.
    That my friends did work, not a single sound of a "Lawnmover" when i did a test with furmark to push the GPU to max.
    So in this case it seems to be "Crap sound" coming through the PSU unit (Corsair TX750m), so he might need to change to a better PSU to get rid of the "Lawnmover" sound.
    Sadly it didn't help with a new PSU :-( or proper grounding, I installed a Corsair AX1200i and there was no improvment at all, still a lawnmover with high load on the GPU (gigabyte GTX690). I even tried stopping the gpu fan and the watercooling pump on the CPU, no change........ Need help ASUS !
    Btw, the xonar phoebus sits 4 empty slots below the GPU, no control box, 5.1 surround headphones.

ROG Member Array

I'm returning it to the shop, and i suggest you all to do it the same, if u only can.

ROG Member Array

I bought Xonar DX no such thing exist for me like buzzing noise with microphone connected to xonar dx as oppose to phoebus. Sorry Asus, you suck with this phoebus card.

ROG Member Array

I bought one of these cards for my new gaming rig consisting of 2 GTX 780's in SLI, The phoebus is sitting between the two of these cards and is highly exposed to the EMI that the cards give off.

After a week of running the PC playing various games everything was working fine until suddenly the people on TS were telling me that they could hear a motor bike in the back ground when I spoke. At first I thought they were being idiots but eventually it got to the point where I realised there was actually a serious problem.

At this point a friend and I attempted to diagnose the problem where we found this specific forum thread. Now I started to worry that I had a faulty card and would have to RMA it. I tried everything, Moving the card to a better spot, Making an EMI shield out of cardboard, paper and aluminium foil. Nothing seemed to work.

Until finally at 12PM at night everyone on TS had left for sleep and yet I was still sitting there stressing my head off over the fact I may not get my money back from the shop I bought it, I found a nasty little setting that a) I didn't know it existed and b) Don't remember playing with or turning off.

I found this setting above to be turned off even though I had never touched it.. I never even knew it existed so I had no idea that it was preventing the EMI from coming through to the Mic.

and to prove it was this setting , the next morning I was literally toggleing it on and off and getting friends in TS to tell me if they heard the ripping noise or not. Everytime the setting was off, they heard the noise. Everytime it was on, my voice was as clear as a sunny day.

So in conclusion, to all those experiencing this issue, check that you have ENC enabled.
    Last edited by Jimz0r; 11-24-2013 at 10:53 AM.

New ROGer Array

I have found a solution to fix the problem.
    The source of the humming is the additional power suply of the sound card. The filter of high frequency is too weak. If the graphic card have a weak high frequency filter too, it sends high-frequency disturbances back to the power suply.
    A solution is a ferrite core in the power suply close to the sound card. I wrap three windings arround the ferrite core and reduced the humming to a minimum till nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131230.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	426.9 KB 
ID:	31742

Greetings, Spi

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

And that's why you don't use a reference design card, especially from amd

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast