cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 vs G55

Eynnl
Level 7
Hello members, newbie here to both the forum and ASUS. Hope I am posting in the correct area.

I am looking to purchase either of these models and would like your input. I have been reading and have noticed a lot of bad feedback on the G75 series, is the G55 better? Also can either of these be upgraded later..processors..memory?
Recently I came across a deal on this web site ..
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00332592000P#specs
Looking at the specs, there are differences, I called and they really we not able to address my concerns which worries me.
Example;
Processor Speed: 2.1 to 3 GHz ...but the CPU is a 3610QM no mention of turbo boost, but it does have the 2 different speeds there again wrong numbers. Looks like they copied and pasted from another site. From what I am also reading, does the PC really use 3Gigs for video?
Has anyone purchased their rig from here, Why did you choose say your G75 over your G55, pros and cons?

I have an Alienware now and while they do have good support, it spends more time in for repairs then anythng else I have had before. I'm not a gamer but like the speed and graphics, nothing worse then shuttering on videos, crappy pixels while surfing and I do use some graphics but just love a good PC? Thanks for any help in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

chrsplmr
Level 18
The basic difference between these two models is size. G75=17", G55=15"
The G75 has either 660 or 670gpu ... while the G55 has the 660
The G75 also has a 3d version while all are 3d ready with an external monitor.

While you may see what appears to be 'issues' with these ... RMA happens with all manufacturers.
Asus sold over 4Million of these units in the first quarter alone ... do the math ...
Personally this is the First I have ever seen or heard of Sears selling a G ...
Welcome to ROG.c.

sing_css
Level 9
Hi,I don't very know about g75 but I can share my opinion on G55~I did a lot of research and I found there are issues with previous batch beforeG55vw-S1131v (which is non 3d version but is FHD and sounds problems fixed) just a few days ago. I am very satisfied with its performance. High demanding game such as crysis 2 can be played smoothly in this machine. Its speaker you have to adjust with equalizer for better sound quality because it sounds quite deep (sorry my bad english)~ So, be careful if you are going to purchase g55, kindly check out the serial number behind G55vw-XXXXX.So far I am impressed by this machine~ Perhaps my opinion would help you~:)

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Eynnl wrote:
I am looking to purchase either of these models and would like your input. I have been reading and have noticed a lot of bad feedback on the G75 series, is the G55 better?

In my limited experience here ... as long as you get one assembled correctly the hardware is rock solid. Minor driver config issue with subwoofer on G75VW.

The G75VW is bigger and has a better cooling system and is somewhat less portable ( depends on how strong you are eh ? ).

The G75VW has a huge advantage of having 2 easily accessible Sata III internal drives ... while still keeping your DVD drive. For me that is a big choice that I would not want to lose.

Thanks for the info. it really helps to get feedback. I guess the next choice to take into consideration is what is screen size. I am used to the 17 inch but goodness, to take it anywhere was a pain...not that I tote it around that often. My friend has a 15.6" laptop not surehow I feel about that 2" 's of screen...hmmm. No one local carries the ASUS line so it's not like I can run to the store and compare.
Like I posted before my current PC has been plauged with issues and I'll never own another, in fact the repair person was supposed to be here today (had parts since Thursday) paid for that "Complete Care Warranty" lot of good that did me. Just hope the ASUS gets me through without the drama.
Guess I am off to see who has the best deal, any promotions out there right now anyone knows of?

Hope I can post soon that I've become a member of the club!!!

Brian_ROG
Level 9
There are many retailers to choose from. Newegg.com, Amazon.com, Tigerdirect.com, etc... or you can pick one up at Bestbuy or at Bestbuy.com. These sites have at least a 30 day return policy in place in case of any issues at first. Make sure to research the many different versions for what it comes with and price.

Also take note that some retailers versions come with different warranties, 1 or 2 year Asus Global warranty.

I have the G75, it's a great machine. The 17 inch screen is nice and you can have 2 Hard drives, it's nice to have an SSD for boot drive and a secondary drive for storage.

Good Luck in choosing the version you want and welcome to ROG!
Asus G75VW-NS72
Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7200RPM + 256G SSD
Nividia Geforce GTX 670M 3G GDDR5
Blu-ray Burner

"Right...very creepy. Forget I asked."
-Alistar DAO

sing_css
Level 9
Yeah, that is something make you tiring to carry such big machine~Perhaps you get yours fighting machine soon 😉

Eynnl i was in the EXACT same situation as you. At first i wanted the G55 cause it was smaller, but when i saw the G75 at sears website for 1339 i bought it on the spot. Why? Well the G75
2 hard drive bays, the GtX670, and well even though the G75 is bigger i looked at the weight between the 55 and 75 and they are almost the same.

@Destroyer99 , I have called Sears 3 times and have asked if the PC included "Turbo Boost". If you look at the stats it states that the PC comes with the 3610QM @ 2.1-3GHz (Processor Speed: 2.1 to 3 GHz) right from their site. If it is the new Ivy Bridge would it not say i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz) and state Turbo Boost?
I searched for 2 days for pricing and comparison shopping. There is also a question as to the screen...is it glare or matte? Think they told me glare.??? Can you please fill me in as to what you got? I'm just a detail person and picky I guess LOL.

Thanks for the welcomes and hopefully before the week is out I hope I can find the right ASUS for me. Pretty sure I will stick with the G75 can't see going down in size :cool:

@Brian_ROG I have been looking again all day... may go the custom route unless Destroyer99 can help me out since the techies @ Sears are not 100% clear about what they are selling. I was thinking of calling ASUS direct, not sure if they could help. At this point doing a custom is looking better, I have spent so long researching.

Rep points to all! Thanks 🙂

Eynnl wrote:
@Destroyer99 , I have called Sears 3 times and have asked if the PC included "Turbo Boost". If you look at the stats it states that the PC comes with the 3610QM @ 2.1-3GHz (Processor Speed: 2.1 to 3 GHz) right from their site. If it is the new Ivy Bridge would it not say i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz) and state Turbo Boost?
I searched for 2 days for pricing and comparison shopping. There is also a question as to the screen...is it glare or matte? Think they told me glare.??? Can you please fill me in as to what you got? I'm just a detail person and picky I guess LOL.

Thanks for the welcomes and hopefully before the week is out I hope I can find the right ASUS for me. Pretty sure I will stick with the G75 can't see going down in size :cool:

@Brian_ROG I have been looking again all day... may go the custom route unless Destroyer99 can help me out since the techies @ Sears are not 100% clear about what they are selling. I was thinking of calling ASUS direct, not sure if they could help. At this point doing a custom is looking better, I have spent so long researching.

Rep points to all! Thanks 🙂

Screen is not glare, its matte. Its saying 2.30ghz on my laptop so i guess the 2.1 is a typo. For Turbo boost, im pretty sure it is Turbo boost.
The Sears site had a few typos but if you want the exact info look at http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwrs72-eta-midjune-p-4475.html

All RS72s are the same pretty much.